parallels to vmware fusion?

Reaction score
So i've been running into issues with xp via parallels on my macbook (dlls, can't locate drives, random error messages).

My main reason for needing xp is to install apps and flash/upgrade my windows mobile phone... now in addition to this i need to install SolidWorks for my Engineering CAD class.

i haven't installed it yet but i don't think parallels is gonna be up for the challenge so i'm considering vmware fusion...

what are your thoughts to those that have used both?

i've read fusion is better in handling graphics and that sort (which is definately good for solidworks) but what about USB drives and the cd drive?

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
Hi Ramacher,

I tried parallels when I first switched to a Mac (it's been 3-4 months now) and I got a lot of crashes and failed installs so I turfed it and went with the fusion beta. Fusion has worked so well that I bought the full version when it came out a few weeks back. I run Ubuntu and WinXP with no problems. USB and CD drive access is perfect. I can sync my Pearl and Garmin GPS to WinXP without a problem. I'm also running a VPN client and connecting to a corporate network.

Two thumbs up for Fusion.

cheers

OP
R
Reaction score
Sounds good!

Don't know why but after i made that post all my problems disappeared... odd huh?

I just finished installing Solid Works and looks like parallels can handle it.. i tested it with a a simple 3D design and started spinning it around and it didn't jitter/lag/skip much at all... I'm gonna stick with parallels for now cuz everythings working but when it starts acting up again i'll definately make the switch (my schedule is too hectic right now to sit down 4 hours or so on my computer to redo everything!)

Thanks again for your input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Remember that Parallels doesn't take advantage of duo processors and VMware does, so your programs will run faster under Fusion. Check out my thread in the subforum which links to speed tests performed by CNET.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
I agree with fleurya regarding performance, WinXP runs super fast on fusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
Fusion's got my vote, and my money! I bought it in pre-release. It's been working great for me. I haven't run anything to intense yet, but, I'm very happy with it. Love the Unity mode!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.