Cell Phone Web for PB

Reaction score
All,
What's the best solution for getting internet on my PB with a cell phone (or other portable device? Need it for a few times, so I'm not interested in the EVDOs that rune $60 a month or more.

I've tried TMobiles Blackberry, but it works VERY slow, if at all. Way slower and less reliable than dial up. (Or perhaps I'm missing some settings, but spend the last two days with a tech going over them).

Other solutions?

Larry

Reaction score
well, to have a reasonable speed, u gotta make sure u have the right stuff...handset...need a 3G mobile phone or atleast EDGE, and make sure u got EDGE or 3G coverage in your location...then simply make a dial-up connection through your phone internal modem over the bluetooth, u should be able to get fair speed, like the one am using now, but it all depend on the network capabilities.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I tether my macbook with my Sprint 700p and have download speed almost as fast as my broadband connection at home...

OP
L
Reaction score
well, to have a reasonable speed, u gotta make sure u have the right stuff...handset...need a 3G mobile phone or atleast EDGE, and make sure u got EDGE or 3G coverage in your location...then simply make a dial-up connection through your phone internal modem over the bluetooth, u should be able to get fair speed, like the one am using now, but it all depend on the network capabilities.....

thx much for the info. I think I have the right stuff, talking to TMobile tech support. I'm getting EDGE, shows up on the phone, make the proper connections (per tech support), and connect maybe one in five times. So, I still have something wrong. I'm going to call tech again, and it if doesn't work, I'm sending it back.

I'd really like it to work, but can't afford to spend 4 hours a day talking to TMobile tech, and that's what it's taking now, with no results.

RIDE,
What kind of Sprint service do you have, sounds pretty good. Thx for the comment.

Larry

OP
L
Reaction score
Anyone teather a cell phone to a PB?

Hi all,

I'm looking for someone that has successfully teathered a cell phone to a Powerbook to receive the internet. Anyone out there?

I'm still fighting my TMobile BlackBerry Pearl that is suppose to work, but doesn't. Need help.

Thanks,

Larry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.