I feel dumb, um how to get a disc in?

Reaction score
I did a search but didnt see this maybe cause its so easy?

How do I open the drive to install a DVD? haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am assuming you are using a tray-loading Mac, like a Power Mac or Mac Pro.
There should be an "Eject" button in the upper-right corner on your keyboard that will open it for you.

OP
R
Reaction score
ok Now how do I access the disc? This is very basic stuff. Why cant I figure it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The disc should mount on your Desktop.
If its a blank disc, then you will have to create a Burn Folder in Finder or open something like Toast to write to it.

OP
R
Reaction score
it's not showing any of my burned discs, it should read them even though I used a windows pc to burn them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
250 HDD, 2 GHz Intel, C2D, 1GB RAM
If the disc has a name you can do a search for it in the spotlight function which should be located next to the time at the top right corner of your screen. Also, doesn't the disc show up in the left column of the the Finder when you open it?

OP
R
Reaction score
I figured it out :( all of my disc's for the past 8 years are all - and macs use + well that SUCKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
250 HDD, 2 GHz Intel, C2D, 1GB RAM
Do you have access to another system to copy them onto and then recopy back onto + discs with? I know it's a hassle but that's better than not having your data at all.

OP
R
Reaction score
yeah I have a bunch of computers but it would take weeks to copy all of these. I have about 60+ packed DVD's.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yeah I have a bunch of computers but it would take weeks to copy all of these. I have about 60+ packed DVD's.

What Mac is this? I take it's an old Power PC G4 or something? Some of the older DVD drives will not read say -R but will read +R that I have ran into. It's the old drive and not the OS or the Mac itself.

OP
R
Reaction score
its a 1 day old mac pro, the box itself costed 3600, you would think it could play both + and - dvd's

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
its a 1 day old mac pro, the box itself costed 3600, you would think it could play both + and - dvd's

I just checked the specs and it appears you are correct. Strange since even the Mac Mini, IMac and the rest flat out state then can write + or - R DVD's and the Mac Pro just says +. I would get a 2nd drive and put it in the other slot, but that still bothers me that a brand new modern drive will not do both + & - DVD's.

OP
R
Reaction score
how does the second drive eject? these things have no buttons on them. haha

OP
R
Reaction score
that they actually have buttons to open stuff? who would have thought? It took me forever to find out how to just open the drive. I had to come here and ask. haha

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how does the second drive eject? these things have no buttons on them. haha

I have a friend with a Mac Pro and both Optical drives. I will ask and get back to you. I am sure it's software. Good question though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.