Daisy Chaining Linksys to Airport Exteme Base

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I want to take full advantage of the 'n' networking built into my Macbook. All other devices in my home network are either 'a' or 'g'.

As I understand it, a 'g' device on an 'n' netwrk will cause the router to fall-back to 'g' speed for all clents. So I was thinking to have an Airport Extreme Base Station as the primary router on my network with my Linksys MIMO router running off of it to provide connectivity to the other 'mixed' protocols. I have a few questions:

1.) Is there really that much differnce in 'n' speed over 'g' speed at about 75ft radius from the router?

2.) Is Airdisk over 'n' fast enough to be usable as a backup or file storage solution or to store/stream my iTunes library from?

3.) Can I run my Xbox360 off the 'g' network without issue? What if I ranit off the APBS in 'a' mode? What does that do to the 'n' network?

4.) If i kept the Mackbook exclusive to the APBS and other devices on the Linksys, would they all still be able to see eachother and share files between the two routers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, every connection doesn't fall back to b/g speeds, just for the devices that have those adapters. So your "N" hardware won't be hindered when accessing the router or other "N" devices, but the speed will be throttled when you have to access the b/g devices.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Actually, every connection doesn't fall back to b/g speeds, just for the devices that have those adapters. So your "N" hardware won't be hindered when accessing the router or other "N" devices, but the speed will be throttled when you have to access the b/g devices.
So If I had an Airdisk connected to the Base Station, that connection will be at 'n' speeds...but file sharing to the b or g laptop would be at teh lowest common speed...right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.