Issues with Belkin54G Router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
I have a MacBook that has had no problems connecting to a Belkin54G router at my girlfriends house.

I bought a new Belkin54G router today and set it up with WPA2 security. My roomates can connect to the network without problem (they have a Gateway and Toshiba). Every time I try to join the network it says there is an error. However, I can still connect to the neighbors internet.

I read CWA's FAQ for wireless internet and tried updating the router with the latest firmware and also resetting it completely. Neither have worked.

Any other suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does the Macbook have all the latest updates installed? There was an Airport one not long ago that fixed some issue. Funny it works on the same router at your GF's house. Does that router also use WPA2 at her house?

Are both those Belkin's the exact came router? Are you SURE you are inputting the WPA2 Hex Key exactly without any mistakes?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Macbook has all of the latest updates installed.

Her router has WEP and not WPA2. I may try to change my router here to WEP instead of WPA2 if that is the only solution, but hopefully there is another option.

I'm pretty sure the Belkin router is the same but I am not at her house to verify.

It won't even let me get to the putting in the password section before it says there is an error.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For the sake of testing, try WEP really fast and see if it works. It sounds like the Macbook thinks it's something other than WPA2. If WEP does not work, try it for a few with no security.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WEP does not work either...but I CAN connect when all security is disabled.

Hm...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anybody have any ideas?

I'm sitting here on it right now with security disabled...but I'd like to be able to figure out how to get it working with it on.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With one very poor Dlink router I had, WPA and WPA2 would not work unless I went into the router config and changed the settings for the protocols from AES to TKIP. That was just this one Awful Dlink router. Never had it anywhere else, but hey, worth a mention.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With one very poor Dlink router I had, WPA and WPA2 would not work unless I went into the router config and changed the settings for the protocols from AES to TKIP. That was just this one Awful Dlink router. Never had it anywhere else, but hey, worth a mention.

Well I appreciate the help...I'll give it a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
I'm having security problems, too. I am able to use WEP just fine with my Netgear WPN824 router. When I try to enable WPA, either AES or TKIP, it will not work. I think its the router as I can't get my compaq laptop to connect either. But I don't understand what the heck it could be. I put in the shared key and I can AirPort tells me I'm connected, but webpages do not load. Anybody have any idea what it could be?

Here is a screenshot showing the options I have. I currently have it set back to WEP so I can access the net to post this.

I have a MacBook C2D with the 802.11n enabler loaded.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to use WPA and get away from the weakness of WEP.

UPDATE: I did a hard reset on the router and ran the wizard again. Selected WPA, put in a 8 character passphrase. Updated. Tried to connect with my MacBook - nothing. I connected fine with my compaq pc. So, what gives????? It is my MacBook.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
Belkin

I set up a new Belking router last week, and I initially had some problems. However, the problem went away after I deleted the router's entry from Keychain and rebooted. When the system came back up, I clicked on the new router, entered the password, and it worked immediately. Granted I went from using an older router than only had WEP to a newer Belkin Router with WPA. I am out of town, so I can't post my config, but I wanted to let you know what worked for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.