Nikon D40X Fisheye Lens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm thinking about buying a fisheye lens for my Nikon D40X and I was wondering what the difference is between the 0.22x and a 0.42X here are the links...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007RRLAS/?tag=macforums0e4-20

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-42x-Fisheye-L...ryZ30067QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you for your help.

I believe that it's the magnification. These do not look like and actual lens but more like an adapter that sits on a lens.

Most actual fisheyes will have a focal length designation and an aperture setting.

Something like Peleng 8mm f/5.6.

There's no focal length rating or aperture rating for either of those, just adapter ring sizes and a magnification number - 0.22x and 0.42x

Take those and multiply which ever lens you inted to fit it on by that number and that's your focal length. On a 20mm lens, it will be 11.6 with the 0.42x.

Also keep in mind, these will probably degrade image quality as it's an extra layer of glass and will also cause less light to pass through. If you want a cheap Fish Eye LENS, look up Peleng. It's fully manual, but they're like $250.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
If you want a cheap Fish Eye LENS, look up Peleng. It's fully manual, but they're like $250.

184631054-M.jpg

i've always wanted a fisheye but a round image and no metering put me off above...... focus whats to focus with this lens?

£500 for the 10.5 DX is still the top lust for me..... but always interested in cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
184631054-M.jpg

i've always wanted a fisheye but a round image and no metering put me off above...... focus whats to focus with this lens?

£500 for the 10.5 DX is still the top lust for me..... but always interested in cheaper.

Actually, the Peleng should give a full image or nearly full on a Digital Nikon. They have a 1.5 crop sensor. I've seen numerous pics from these on the Canon 1.6 crop sensor and they're full pic's, with just some vingetting when shot wide open...most people say to use these at like f/6 or f/8 for best results.

Not a bad lenses and if you shoot manual mode enough, you should know about metering enough to use one of these. Not bad for $250.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
Not a bad lenses and if you shoot manual mode enough, you should know about metering enough to use one of these. Not bad for $250.

that is 35mm behaviour which only works for planned landscapes not roaming and spotanious stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.