802.11n wireless

Reaction score
Guys,
I checked on the Apple web page and looked at the 802.11n upgrade but apple says I should already have it installed on my 17” Mac Pro but I looked and I only have the a & g I think it was.
Any ideas how I can get the 802.11n wireless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
By 17" Mac Pro, I'm going to assume you mean the Macbook Pro.

Apple put in 802.11n cards into its Core2Duo line of computers but left that functionality dormant until it could release the Airport Extreme router. Now if you get the Airport Extreme, the 802.11n enabler comes with it. However, if you want to use a different router, you'll need to cough up the $1.99 to enable 802.11n.

Before we get any further, how about we figure out which Macbook Pro you have. Click on the blue Apple icon in the upper left and select "About this Mac". Then tell us whether it says CoreDuo or Core2Duo.

If you have the former, then you don't have 802.11n functionality built-in. If the latter, then yes.

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Macbook Pro
Its the CoreDuo
$1.99 wont break the bank so i will get it when i buy the Airport extreme
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you have the CoreDuo, that means you do NOT have 802.11n capability built in. Which means using the enabler won't do squat for your computer, and which obviously means you won't be able to use the 802.11n features of the Extreme base station.

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
So is there an upgrade avalible to get this, i.e. upgrade to Core 2 Duo or does it mean that i am f****d and would need to by a new computer to get that??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, Apple does not offer a 802.11n Airport card. It was user-upgradeable on the Powerbooks, but I'm not sure if the same applies to the Macbook Pros (perhaps somebody else can confirm this).

So the only option you really have it to get a USB or ExpressCard adapter, which again, I'm not sure are available for Macs.

So it would seem that the only way to get 802.11n capability is to either upgrade to a Core2Duo MBP or to find the part on Ebay and pull the card from that.

I found some Ebay auctions if you're interested in going that route:

Apple Airport Extreme Card Mac Pro 802.11n MacBook Pro

AirPort Extreme Card 802.11n -MacBook/Mac Pro- MA688Z/B

Airport Extreme Card Mac Pro MA688Z/B 802.11n MacBook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.