So Choices, So Many Possibilities

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got set up in my new apartment and now I am currently getting everything situated with the new wireless networks. When I first got here I searched all the wireless networks within range, and to my surprise I found 10 "public" ones. I wanted to know if there was some method I could use in order to find out each network's various details; how fast it is, how many people use it, etc.

I was hoping that I would be able to do this through the terminal or something along those lines.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,

I just got set up in my new apartment and now I am currently getting everything situated with the new wireless networks. When I first got here I searched all the wireless networks within range, and to my surprise I found 10 "public" ones. I wanted to know if there was some method I could use in order to find out each network's various details; how fast it is, how many people use it, etc.

I was hoping that I would be able to do this through the terminal or something along those lines.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Leeching off of a private wireless network is illegal in many states and countries. If you do connect to an unencrypted wireless connection, be aware that your data is sent in a format openly available to interception by a third party. That includes sensitive information like passwords and financial data.

In addition, some hackers set up "honey pots", designed to lure in would-be wi-fi thieves in order to hack their machines.

So, having given you the lecture, if you want to see the strength of the signals in your area, AirPort Radar is a widget that does just that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.