Does Intel iMac need imic to transfer vinyl LPs?

Reaction score
I'm a new Intel iMac owner seeking to transfer vinyl LP collection onto CDs. Can't figure out if I need the Griffin imic device, or if the newer Intel iMac can receive phonograph audio just by plugging my stereo receiver into the computer's audio-in port. (Obviously haven't tried yet, don't have the proper cord.)
The Intel iMac has an 'audio in/optical audio in' port. Does that mean I don't need any other hardware to do the job? And if I don't need imic and its related software (Final Vinyl) can GarageBand digitize my LPs and create tracks etc.?
Cheers,
TIA

*****Life is short; judgment is difficult*****

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
You don't need the iMic; all it does is give you the port you already have. It was made for older Macs (like my PMG4) that don't have audio-in jacks.

GarageBand will do the job too (I used it to capture some audio from my iPod's headphone jack when I'd forgotten to bring in a track for a friend's radio project... luckily the radio studio had the right cable).

OP
G
Reaction score
You don't need the iMic; all it does is give you the port you already have. It was made for older Macs (like my PMG4) that don't have audio-in jacks.

GarageBand will do the job too (I used it to capture some audio from my iPod's headphone jack when I'd forgotten to bring in a track for a friend's radio project... luckily the radio studio had the right cable).
Great help. And I too love Koalas. Imagine if humans also lived such harmless lives, and just ate and slept, and kept silent. Eden!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
what type of table? I believe that phono out requires some sory of signal amplification and a ground. Not sure about that though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have the basic Sony turntable you can pick up at Best Buy for $100. I had the amp switch in on mode and use an adapter I picked up at Radio Shack for $5 that converts the audio RCA connections (red and white) and converts them to the mini phone connection the iMac uses. I used the app that comes with Toast. It's really easy to use.
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.