can't connect to PC network.

Reaction score
I just got the macbook, and in the start up it brings me to choose a wireless network, but i'm not 100% what to type in password. I tried the WEP Key password, but it doesn't connect. Does anyone know if i'm looking for the wrong password or if i'm doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB mem
the password to the network that you set on your router?

OP
I
Reaction score
yah i'm trying, i entered the WEP key or the network password, a few times. but i still can't connect.

i'm thinking it could be a setting in my router, if anyone knows what i have to turn on. i'm using a Linksys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Put a '$' (without quotes) as the first character of your WEP password, then the rest of the WEP password.

EDIT: to clarify, don't substitute the $ for the first char of your WEP key, prefix the passkey with the dollar sign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yep, had the same problem when I had a linksys router. That answer was kind of buried in the google archives. Have a different router now and I don't have to do that anymore but it must be a linksys thing, as I only have a vague notion as to why it works. Something about converting the key to hex or something like that.

I just cared (as you probably do) that it worked. :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yah i'm trying, i entered the WEP key or the network password, a few times. but i still can't connect.

i'm thinking it could be a setting in my router, if anyone knows what i have to turn on. i'm using a Linksys

Is your WEP key 128 Bit HEX? ASCII? 56Bit Hex?

Just saw you got it working. What I was going to tell you to do is select the right type for the key, but putting the $ does that for HEX. Glad it's working for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.