• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HD-DVD & Blu-Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: CD 2.0GHz, 2GB, 250GB, SuperDrive, 20" MacBook: CD 2.0GHz, 1GB, 60GB, SuperDrive, White
Not a versus or smackdown thread but a general discussion of who has what, what devices they are using, which they prefer (in a non-abusive manner - I don't want this breaking down into a fanboy battle of the formats), and what their favourite discs are.

I currently use an Xbox 360 + HD-DVD drive and a PS3 for my hi-def movie watching.

Last disc I got was 'The Host' on HD-DVD which was nowhere near as good as expected.

300 is on it's way on HD-DVD / Combo and Starship Troopers should arrive today on Blu-Ray.

Currently prefer HD-DVD over Blu-Ray since it's features are better and picture quality seems to be a touch better. Combo discs HOW MANY PIGS LIVE IN YOUR BUSINESS? me off though!

Favourite discs have got to be, so far, Batman Begins (HD-DVD), The Prestige (HD-DVD), Ultimate Matrix Collection (HD-DVD) and Apocalypto (Blu-Ray)

My whole collection is viewable at http://www.SpecialEdition.me.uk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Neither. I've avoided the whole mess, I'll wait until one standard emerges or go without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I have a Toshiba HD-A1. So I'm on the HDDVD side. I'm thinking about picking up the HDDVD copy of 300 to watch on it. That should be an incredible visual experience. The HDDVDs I already have are King Kong (awesome in HD), Apollo 13 (decent but a bit too old for HD), and Goodfellas (I don't even know why I bought this in HD).

Reaction score
I was going to a buy a PS3 no matter what; so having a Blu Ray player was extra. Also the A2 Toshiba was 350$; which for me isn't a big deal. If Hd-DVD fails (looks like it might) then I'm out 350$, no big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I'm waiting until full 1080p screens are affordable before I jump into the whole HD mess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
If HDDVD fails, I'll be out some money. But even if it does go down in flames, I'll still be able to enjoy the HDDVDs that I have right now. I'm sure after Betamax failed people still watched the movies they had in Betamax.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm waiting until full 1080p screens are affordable before I jump into the whole HD mess.

How big of a TV are you getting? The reason I'm asking, is you really can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720 below 45in or so.

OP
VolcomLegend
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: CD 2.0GHz, 2GB, 250GB, SuperDrive, 20" MacBook: CD 2.0GHz, 1GB, 60GB, SuperDrive, White
How big of a TV are you getting? The reason I'm asking, is you really can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720 below 45in or so.

Agreed. Minimum 1080p TV size should be 42" and even then its a close call.

Blu-Ray is kicking IF I COULD ONLY HAVE PINK CHICKENS in the US but Europe seems to prefer HD-DVD a little more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

No, but you can tell the difference between a 1080p image on a 1080p screen (even if it's only 40 inches) and a 1080p image that's been scaled to a 720p screen... unless you have scaler worth several thousand dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
Neither. I've avoided the whole mess, I'll wait until one standard emerges or go without.

Ditto.

I have a 720p 50" projection TV. I love the few HD channels I get. I'd love to watch movies in HD, but just can't justify spending the $$ on a player. I'll wait until after the holidays. Maybe by then, there will be a trend as to which will be the dominate format.

Reaction score
I have a PS3, but have watched HD DVD. I like them both, but since I've watched more blu-ray movies, I'm a little biased. ;) I'm just waiting for a dual format player to be affordable. Right now, it's a rip off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
I have neither at the moment. Can't justify the cost. However, I do believe that Blu-Ray will 'win' the format war because Blockbuster has backed it. Major video rental stores backed VHS previously and we all know how that turned out. Also, I was in my local HMV and I noticed the Blu-Ray titles outnumber the HD-DVDs by about 3:1. I think that Blu-Ray has the momentum and industry backing to sink HD-DVD in the long run.

I know I'm desperate to see what Apple backs!

*Crosses fingers for Blu-Ray in reputed new iMacs*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Doesn't Apple already have some company-related tie-in with another company that is pretty much assuring where they'll go? I thought I read something about it.

Anyway, I have neither now, but I'm in grad school and can't afford it anyway. By the time I get done in a year I think 1080p and dual players will be much cheaper and I'll have both.

Do you think one will actually die out? With huge company backing on both sides and the technology to make dual players, isn't it possible that both can survive?

Reaction score
Doesn't Apple already have some company-related tie-in with another company that is pretty much assuring where they'll go? I thought I read something about it.

Anyway, I have neither now, but I'm in grad school and can't afford it anyway. By the time I get done in a year I think 1080p and dual players will be much cheaper and I'll have both.

Do you think one will actually die out? With huge company backing on both sides and the technology to make dual players, isn't it possible that both can survive?

Apple is on the board of Directors for Blu Ray; the only big company that sololey backs HD-DVD, studio that is, is Universal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
If HDDVD fails, I'll be out some money. But even if it does go down in flames, I'll still be able to enjoy the HDDVDs that I have right now. I'm sure after Betamax failed people still watched the movies they had in Betamax.

My granddad kept his Betamax tapes and player for a long long time (I didn't even know what they where when I saw them). He didn't watch them much (like anything you only watch the same stuff so many times), and when he got a DVD player he got everything on DVD anyway.

As for combo players, I remember reading something about certain conditions in the licensing agreement for one or both the formats that forbid using using the technology in a device that would also incorporate the other format.

I've seen news about combo players being made, and am wondering if anyone knows if that clause was dropped, or if it's a legal nightmare waiting to happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

What he says......although it is starting to look like BluRay might be the winner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Don't even own a HDTV, and have no immediate plans to buy one. Prefer Blu-Ray as it stores more data per disk, and data's what it's all about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.