• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

CNET give step by step OS X install on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Tom merit gave a step by step of installing OS X on a Thinkpad and directs viewers where to find more information and files to do it.

I found this pretty interesting, not to do, but because it goes against the EULA. In the video he says multiple times that doing this is not allowed, you shouldn't do it, and in the end claims he will delete everything. If they truly believe all of that, then why make the video to begin with.

At one point, he even says talking about a certain site or file he mentioned alone may be illegal. I just don't get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'd imagine some Apple Legal Guys will be contacting him soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
interesting. dont know why someone would want to do that though, half the fun of running OS X is running it on an Apple machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It's still always cool seeing OS X running on a non-mac computer. :)

Reaction score
It's called FlyakiteOSX people, it makes windows look like OS X and function the same way, but doesnt actually require on OS X installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It's called FlyakiteOSX people, it makes windows look like OS X and function the same way, but doesnt actually require on OS X installation.

Actually, it's probably called OSX86 and is a hacked version of OS X that will install on an Intel machine that uses a bios chip, not a windows theme that makes it looks like OS X. You can tell if you watch the video at the very end when he turns the laptop on. The grey OS X loading screen comes up while he's waiting for the OS to load. If it was just XP with a windows theme, you would see the POST and everything else, a Windows XP loading screen, then an OS X themed XP gui load.

And by the way, if I buy a copy of a program, I should be able to install it on whatever I want if I can figure how to do that. If I want OS X on my microwave, then by god, it should be legal for me to do so.

Reaction score
Actually, it's probably called OSX86 and is a hacked version of OS X that will install on an Intel machine that uses a bios chip, not a windows theme that makes it looks like OS X. You can tell if you watch the video at the very end when he turns the laptop on. The grey OS X loading screen comes up while he's waiting for the OS to load. If it was just XP with a windows theme, you would see the POST and everything else, a Windows XP loading screen, then an OS X themed XP gui load.

And by the way, if I buy a copy of a program, I should be able to install it on whatever I want if I can figure how to do that. If I want OS X on my microwave, then by god, it should be legal for me to do so.

That's not what I meant. I was saying if you want OS X on your PC, there's a program called FlyakiteOSX that makes windows xp look and fucntion in pretty much every way to OS X. I'm using it right now, As I happen to be in boot camp running XP with flyakiteosX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Except that your not "buying" the program, you're paying for the right to use it with restrictions. If you were buying it they would give you the source code and then you would be able to do as you please.

Reaction score
Reminds me of Florida. It is against the law for an individual to shoot off certain types of fireworks yet at certain times of the year there are roadside stands selling tons of fireworks. The justification is that it is against the law to set them off, not sell them. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
That's not what I meant. I was saying if you want OS X on your PC, there's a program called FlyakiteOSX that makes windows xp look and fucntion in pretty much every way to OS X. I'm using it right now, As I happen to be in boot camp running XP with flyakiteosX

Then you're just running a windows theme. That's not OSX on your PC. OS X on your PC would be well...a full install of OS X on your machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Except that your not "buying" the program, you're paying for the right to use it with restrictions. If you were buying it they would give you the source code and then you would be able to do as you please.

I won't be happy until I can burn DVD's in my toaster...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 80GB 2GHz C2D 1GB RAM | iPod Nano 3G 8GB

FlyakiteOSX pwns. I used to use it when I ran Windows.

Reaction score
Interesting. I'll stick to OSX on my MBP. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Forum Rules said:
Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs.
Why would anyone think this was a good idea to post something like this on the Forum here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.