• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Automator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM
Many people here actually use the Automator? I dont, but I'm just wondering what tasks people use it for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I used it once to join two music libraries by going inside each folder, and inside that one, etc etc, and then pulling the MP3's from them. Then putting all of those in a folder replacing duplicates so there would only be one copy of each song. I then added all of the songs to iTunes through automator.

You can also get it to auto update iTunes to a folder that you just put music into and then delete the music automatically. Kind of like a dropbox for mp3s. You can use it for tons of stuff.

If you are editing a bunch of documents the same way you can get it to help you in that process.

Its weird cause it seems like automator is built for people who don't know how to, or don't want to write scripts to do tasks for them, but may need to do a lot of the same thing over and over. But I personally find it easier to write a python/pearl script for most of the stuff I do that seems tedious, because I can customize it however I want. Automator is for an odd niche of people it seems. People technically savvy enough to use a utility like this, but don't want to write their own scripts. It is really really powerful though.

Cool sites:
http://automatorworld.com/
http://dougscripts.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I use Otto a whole lot.

I import photos into iPhoto renaming them and putting them in an album at the same time
I use it for selecting photos copying resizing and e-mailing Photos
A browser for iPhoto without launching iPhoto

There are loads of other cool uses for Otto too

PS. in Leopard Automator will be even more advanced

http://www.apple.com/no/macosx/leopard/features/automator.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.