Create Hidden Share?

Reaction score
Can you create a hidden share with OSX4?

So we are all on the same page, with Windows you can share a folder and put a $ at the end of the name. DRIVERS$ for example. When Joe User browses the server he does not see the share, but the tech who knows it is there simply types \\server\DRIVERS$ and the folder opens up.

Just have not been able to find anyone that can tell me how to do it on a Mac so I am not sure it's possible.

Reaction score
I think you can do this by editing the /etc/smb.conf file. The entry would look like:

[My Hidden Share]
path = /Volumes/MacHD/hiddenshare
writeable = yes
browseable = no

where [My Hidden Share] is the name of the share
path is the path to the directory you wish to share
writeable is yes/no if you want to be able to write to the directory or not, you have to make sure that the user connecting has appropriate permissions to write
browseable is yes/no, this is the hidden part...make it no if you don't want the share to be shown in a browse list.

For more info Google smb.conf Mac. There is also a front-end called Sharepoint that may be worth checking out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.