AirPort Express

B

babyatom

Hi everyone,
I recently bought a lovely new iBook G4 with all the extras and have been looking around for a cheap wireless broadband router so I can go wireless - the AirPort Extreme base station is a bit too pricey for me.

Then, all of a sudden, Apple go and release AirPort Express which is very neat and more reasonably priced (£99) and it can do wireless iTunes too!

I've never set up anything wireless before so here's my question:
I currently have an old desktop PC (that my girlfriend uses) connected to NTL cable broadband via USB (the PC hasn't got Ethernet). If I buy the AirPort Express and hook it up to my NTL cable modem via an Ethernet cable, can my PC still connect to the NTL cable broadband via USB? Or do I need to buy something else to make it possible for both the PC and the iBook to be able to connect the Internet at the same time, the former via wires and the latter without?

I'd really appreciate any help or advice or tales of related experiences.

Cheers,
babyatom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You will not be able to connect the PC via USB...You will need a regular router (not very expensive)

Airport Express doesn't come out until mid july

OP
J

jerodhusvar

It'd be easy enough to pick up a cheap wireless network card for the PC. You're talking like $30US.

jjh

OP
B

babyatom

Bugger - I thought that might be the case :-(

I could update the PC, you're right, but it's so old it's not really worth it. Maybe by mid July I'll have convinced my girlfriend to ditch the PC and get a Mac. Hey, she could have my iBook - which by then will be 2 1/2 months old - and I could get an even newer one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
excellent plan, that's what i was planning to do with my ipod once the new ones come out...

I mean i can't justify 2 ipods in 2 years unless i give her my old one can i???
"the new ones are muuch to complicated and have waay to much space...keep it simple! I'll sacrifice myself, here have my old one babes!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.