Getting files from one iMac (old) to a new iMac

Reaction score
Ok, let me try and explain this so it will make sense. A friend has "finally" upgraded his iMac to a new one. That process ran into a problem. I need to transfer files (and email) from his old computer to his new one. His old computer is running Mac OS 9.2.2 and his new one is running the current 10.4.10. Both computers are hooked up to a router but here comes the rub. When I try and log onto the old one from his new computer using his correct login and password, there is no connection. I set up a new account on the old computer using a different name and password. This time it tells me to choose a volume to load but there are no volumes listed. This is a bit frustrating. I know his old computer is talking to the outside world as I'm able to browse and send/receive email just fine. I'm also quite sure of the correct IP address to use to connect to that computer.

As a side, I've done this several times but never run into this kind of problem.

Any help is as always appreciated.

Also, this is probably off topic here but I need to get the proper file to transfer his email to his new machine. On the old machine he used Outlook Express while on the new computer he wants to use Apple Mail.

I hope someone can help and as always thank you for any and all help.

BNguy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.