AirPort Express Question, Please Help Me!

Reaction score
Okay, I am a student at Georgia Tech and I own a macbook with ****** speakers. What I want to accomplish is to be able to have my printer and my speakers work wirelessly with my macbook in my dorm room. I will already have a wireless internet connection that is provided by the school.

So I'm wondering, can I just use the Airport Express for my speakers and printer, and then use the school's wireless internet?

One more thing, the speakers will work full time correct? Not just only with itunes, but they will act as my main speakers, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sure, you can add the airport express as a wireless client on your school's network. You can then connect to it for printing and streaming music.

That's basically the way I have mine set up as well: It's a client on my other router's wireless network.

But you can only stream from iTunes, unless you purchase Airfoil from Rouge Amoebe. That'll let you stream music from any application to your speakers. But it's no good for movies or videos - the audio will be out of sync with the image.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sure, you can add the airport express as a wireless client on your school's network. You can then connect to it for printing and streaming music.

That's basically the way I have mine set up as well: It's a client on my other router's wireless network.

But you can only stream from iTunes, unless you purchase Airfoil from Rouge Amoebe. That'll let you stream music from any application to your speakers. But it's no good for movies or videos - the audio will be out of sync with the image.

Ah that's what I was afraid of, the thing is though, you get in big trouble at my school if you are running your own wireless network off of their network.

So could I use this strictly for my printer and itunes? and still get the internet from my school, and not through my airport express?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.