Reducing video file size for iPhone

Reaction score
Apologies if this is an old subject and already been answered.

I have a library of music videos i have downloaded from iTunes and i want to put them on my iPhone - but obviously don't need the full screen quality so trying to cut them 'down to size' to save of space usage on the iPhone.

I've tried opening them in Quicktime pro but the 'Export' option is greyed out. Is this because they are copyright protected ?

Is there any other software i can use to convert them to iPhone 'format/size'

I will post this on the iPhone forum as well.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Oops, wrong topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, you're right. Purchased videos from iTunes are Fairplay protected and can't be converted.

Having said that, I think most music videos are H.264 (which is really space efficient) and only have 320x240 (iPod video format) anyway, so you wouldn't be able to save much room....

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. Purchased videos from iTunes are Fairplay protected and can't be converted.

Having said that, I think most music videos are H.264 (which is really space efficient) and only have 320x240 (iPod video format) anyway, so you wouldn't be able to save much room....
Not sure i understand. I can play the music vids i buy on iTunes on a 42inch LCD TV (via AppleTV). Surely they can be compressed down considerably to be watchable on a 5inch display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just because you can stretch the video up to 42 inches, doesn't mean that it actually that large. But I just checked, and it looks as though they've bumped the videos up to 640 x 480. (Which is still not even close to the HD resolution on your LCD TV, but still better than 320x480).

The iPhone's display is 480-by-320, at 160dpi, so there's not a huge amount of difference there. Sure you could squeeze out a few megabytes of space, but since you can't convert them anyway I suppose the point is moot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.