• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

vista is degrading

Reaction score
:eek:

1.Window mail is lagging and when i take my mouse to paste and copy there is lagged

2.IE is degrading really bad "when i delete something the box to delete is block"

3.THANK HP FOR SELLING ME A SUPER-SWEET-BETTER-THAN-HOT COCOA-AFTER-BEING-OUTSIDE-IN-THE-SNOW-FOR-THREE-HOURS-HAVING-A-REALLY-INTENSE-SNOWBALL-FIGHT COMPUTER

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
haha, another "vista is terrible" thread. I have nothing to say about the OS since i have never used it. everything i hear about is bad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i have used it a few times on display laptops, seems ok i guess. kinda boring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
i have used it a few times on display laptops, seems ok i guess. kinda boring.

That's because when you use something far superior (OS X), when you switch to something that is sub-par in the same means as "trying to be like OS X," it basically doesn't cut it.

That's why I love OS X. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Seems like there is a lot of those Vista is Rubbish threads around.

I personally got a good laugh on the Expense of Vista a couple of weeks ago. I was at best buy and I was messing around with one fo the display laptops. I had IE open (took a bit too long to open I should mention) then while IE was open I clicked on Windows Media Player and for some ODD & Weird reason IE disappeared with no error messages and WMP opened which took quite some time as well.

But thats as far as my experience with Vista goes. It could have been a hardware issue, but didn't seem likely but hey who know ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
it just isnt as stable as OS X. Though i have had a few programs close on me in OS X but that is the extent of my problems since my switch six months ago, aside from some faulty cd burns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook w/ 2.16GHz Duo & 2GB RAM
I tried it at work for a while because at some point we will have to start installing vista workstations. From a work standpoint, I was disappointed that the aero interface and other fancy features worked nicely and very fast but the basic operations just took more time. Not necessarily from a lag standpoint, but it took more effort to do what I need to do. Just traversing folders on the network seemed to be a hassle with the vista interface. Even with all of the settings on "classic" I couldn't find any way around it.

Besides ME, Vista is really the first Microsoft OS that I am not interested in. I guess that's why I now own this Mac.

Thought about installing bootcamp or parallels but I have not found a good reason to.

-
Andy

OP
T
Reaction score
i notice this

that in the all program that all the files get "crumple up " how can i stop "the crumping thing" in the all program files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Sounds like a normal day on Windows, to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hmmm....I think I've had more unexpected quits on OS X than I've had on my Vista machine. Adobe PS CS3 and bridge have a tendency of doing the whole unexpectedly quit thing here and there...

I can honestly say the only problem I had with PS CS2 on my Inspiron was due to a compatibility error that was fixed by running the program as Admin once...

All in all, I've never had either OS lock up on me completely...but I have 2gb of memory in each PC and decent GPUs, so it's not like I'm running anything as bad as a display computer at circuit city...and I know how to keep a computer updated and running right...

I guess also installing Vista Ultimate from scratch could have proved helpful as well as I didn't have all the extra stuff on it that Dell likes to install...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I think I've also had more unexpected closures on OS X than Windows; but the only programs that do it on OS X have been Word (version X; when I updated to Office 2004 it seems to have sorted itself out) and IE (which I had to use for something at college).

I've not used Vista yet, but I'll be sure to play around with it next time I'm at PC World and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I think I've also had more unexpected closures on OS X than Windows; but the only programs that do it on OS X have been Word (version X; when I updated to Office 2004 it seems to have sorted itself out) and IE (which I had to use for something at college).

I've not used Vista yet, but I'll be sure to play around with it next time I'm at PC World and see what happens.

It's pretty dummy proof and unless you're trying to run it with 512mb of RAM and an 64mb integrated graphics chip...it should run fairly smooth...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have to say that when I think about it, I've had more stability issues with OS X than I ever had with XP. It's mostly due to programs just quitting on me, which is really annoying. Also for some reason it will just refuse to sleep or shut down so I have to force it down by holding the power button. It happens at least a couple times a week. Luckily it's never been with the Office programs where I've lost data, but it does make me nervous enough to save about every 5 minutes. With XP I never had programs just quit for no apparent reason and I never had BSOD issues except for when I was tinkering with things I shouldn't have been. I still like OS X better though.

I just finished installing Vista on my 4 1/2 year old Alienware desktop last night and so far it runs like a champ. Installed programs and games, all running fine. Although, at the time I bought that computer it was "top of the line" with a 3GHz Pentium 4, 1GB of RAM, Radeon 9700 graphics card, and Soundblaster Platinum EX sound card. I was planning to use it for an "entertainment PC" or something like that, but I might just sell it while it may be worth something to someone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
My Vista got infected with a virus twice. Like said, its Aero effects are fast, but basic operations are slow. Deleting a file takes ten minutes. Thank god I got an iMac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I played with vista for about ten minutes.

Until then I was on the fence for getting a mac.

Vista threw me clean over the fence and clean into the yard across the street.

If you dont mind learning a new operating system (which really isnt too difficult) then I'd say switch. Apple gives you a faster machine with the core 2 duo, a more stable more user friendly os, and a great warranty plan that doesn't require you to ship away your computer for weeks and weeks at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I played with vista for about ten minutes.

Until then I was on the fence for getting a mac.

Vista threw me clean over the fence and clean into the yard across the street.

If you dont mind learning a new operating system (which really isnt too difficult) then I'd say switch. Apple gives you a faster machine with the core 2 duo, a more stable more user friendly os, and a great warranty plan that doesn't require you to ship away your computer for weeks and weeks at a time.

Really? Because Dell offers /c2d's in pretty much all of their desktop/notebooks, opinion - see above unexpected closures and other people also have huge problems intermittenly - Dell also offers Linux on some of their machines, The turn around time on my Dell notebook was 4 days and they paid for the shipping and everything. They also offer in home service on their desktops...

Sorry, but Apple isn't the only company that offers all of those benefits when purchasing from them...

Reaction score
The only good products microsoft ever made were mice, MSDOS, Windows 3.1-95, and flight simulator.

winXP is for business, vista is for bill gates to get rich on.

OS X and Linux together do everything and more than windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
hey, actually, i am using vista via parallels right now (couldn't get boot camp to work) and i'm not hating it...i have hit f9 a couple of times =P, but the system is half bad, not considering switching full over or anything, but, just saying, it's not that bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
My Vista got infected with a virus twice. Like said, its Aero effects are fast, but basic operations are slow. Deleting a file takes ten minutes. Thank god I got an iMac...

do you know how to use Vista? or MS products at all? from your above quote i'm going to guess not...........

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I was on the Vista beta team (and office) I used it until the 2nd beta and bought a MacBook Pro when I needed a new computer that is how good I thought it was.

Its just too much of a memory eater.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.