White dust on ram?

Reaction score
Hi today I think I will upgrade my ram from 1Gb to 2Gb, the thing is that I went to see what brand was the one that is installed and when I took it out it had a white dust all over the ram pins. Is it normal or should I clean it?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
It was on mine too. I upgraded to 2GB yesterday and it was all over the connecter pins on the factory ram. Strange. The only thing i could think of was it was some type of lubricant maybe.....

Reaction score
Just use one of those compressed air cans on it. Don't get too crazy though because sometimes the vapor leaves a frost on whatever you're using it on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
ANTHRAX !!! GET AWAY.

It's just regular old dust that the fans collect, it's no big problem, you just need to sweep it off, or blow it out with compressed air. Or use Q-tips. it's all good. Nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I thought it might be a thermal paste-ish kind of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have never heard of such a thing... but i would go with the theory "if it aint broke dont fix it"
so i wouldnt do anything
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
It wasn't dust. It was only on the ram "pins" and not on any other part of the ram sticks. By pins i mean the metal looking piano keys on the ram. It would be the last part to get dust on them since they are in the slot the farthest.

Didn't really matter to me anyways, it was the apple stock ram that i was taking out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It's just lubricant/conductivity stuff, it's fine. Like thermal paste on your CPU, it's just white goo that gets all over your fingers. Dust getting on the contacts won't be a problem.

Reaction score
Netspeed if you live in Columbia I may know the answer to your white powder problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.