any DJ's in here?

Reaction score
I just ordered my iMac yesterday, What software is easy to use with a mac for recording? I'll be using it to multitrack and make remixes/mash ups as well as mixtapes, and what recording device/pre amp is best? I used Adobe Audition on my PC for quite some time now for basic editing and stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac w/xtra ram .. MBP 2.53, Brick ... PowerBook 190
I use pro tools LE for my audio stuff. It's probably a little more than other systems, but gets you useing to the industry standard for music production. It's actually quite cheap though. I don't know what you needs are. If you're just doing a bunch of post production, the mbox would be perfect for you. Has less inputs and saves money .. can be had for $300. I have the Mbox2 .. didn't have the MboxMini when I got mine. I would also check ebay for one used if you want to take that risk .. would save money.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c542--Pro_Tools_LE_Systems

Call Sweetwater they may have something better in mind for your needs. They're very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac w/xtra ram .. MBP 2.53, Brick ... PowerBook 190
. . . BTW .. Pro Tools isn't the easiest software to use, but it'll be worth learning. If you know how to use an analogue mixing board it'll be much easier. It's basicaly a virtual recording studio style mixing board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Ableton Live with a MOTU Ultralite is what I use. Great software and a really, really great interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I just ordered my iMac yesterday, What software is easy to use with a mac for recording? I'll be using it to multitrack and make remixes/mash ups as well as mixtapes, and what recording device/pre amp is best? I used Adobe Audition on my PC for quite some time now for basic editing and stuff

Basic editing? Any sequencing software. Logic Express, Digital Performer, Abelton Live. There's a ton out there and some are free (Garage band comes with OS X).

There's also DJ software Like Traktion which has a newer version with four "play decks", letting you stack two tracks on each channel. If you want to record straight from your mixer, don't bother with something like Pro Tools. It's the digital recording industry standard the same reason Apple is for graphic design and their business model kind of reminds me of Apple.

They use to be the only thing out there for digital recording just like Apple was for graphic arts and many people never bothered to explore other manufactures as tech moved on, remaining with pro tools to justify the cost. Their software can only be used with protools hardware. It ensures greater compatibility, but you pay a lot more than you could say you spent $150 on logic express and $150 on a fire wire interface. That's all you should need to record from tables. Preamps won't be necessary with the mixer since it's line out and supplies it's own power.

Reaction score
There's also Native Instruments' Traktor. I haven't looked up Traktion, but it sounds like they are similar programs. I also agree that Ableton Live might work well for your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
There's also Native Instruments' Traktor. I haven't looked up Traktion, but it sounds like they are similar programs. I also agree that Ableton Live might work well for your needs.

Oops, that's what I meant.

cas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
Ableton Live with a MOTU Ultralite is what I use. Great software and a really, really great interface.

Im with him... Ableton Live will give you the chance to make remixes at home and live session in stage, i us it for produce/record my tracks, remix them, and play them live triggering loops, etc.
About the MOTU thing, i dont have one, but if had the budget i will get one, i have read a lot of good reviews about it.
n_n

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.