Bootcamp vs. Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel Core Duo, 13" Display
When Mac OSX Leopard comes out it will have bootcamp pre-installed and I was wondering if it is easier or somehow better than getting (buying) a parallel. So what my question is, is should I wait to get Leopard (because i'm going to get it anyway) that has bootcamp installed on it, or, should i buy a parallel and use it on leopard?

- Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24
When Mac OSX Leopard comes out it will have bootcamp pre-installed and I was wondering if it is easier or somehow better than getting (buying) a parallel. So what my question is, is should I wait to get Leopard (because i'm going to get it anyway) that has bootcamp installed on it, or, should i buy a parallel and use it on leopard?

- Thanks in advance

it depends what you want to use Windows for... if you want to run 3d Windows games etc, you'll get far better performance from using Boot Camp and booting into Windows rather than trying to run them in a Parallels window...

but if you don't need 3d performance, and want to be able to have both Windows apps and OSX apps running at the same time, and want to be able to switch between them, Parallels is the way to go

I'd suggest downloading the Boot Camp beta for Tiger and giving it a whirl.. although it's beta, it's stable & easy to set up... you can also download a trial version of Parallels, so the best answer is: try em out now and see which is best for you

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/publicbeta.html

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

Reaction score
I would also try VMWare's Fusion. It is just as good as Parallels in my book, and you can pre-purchase before that actual final release for half the price of Parallels.

OP
scottwparker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you both so much! but i think i'm just going to wait until leopard comes out and just use that bootcamp. oh, and one more question. Will i have to go and buy a windows xp or vista operating system in the store so it can run on bootcamp or how does that work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24
Thank you both so much! but i think i'm just going to wait until leopard comes out and just use that bootcamp. oh, and one more question. Will i have to go and buy a windows xp or vista operating system in the store so it can run on bootcamp or how does that work?

Apple's website gives the following 'what you need' info:

"A bona fide full version of Microsoft Windows: XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2, WIndows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate. (No upgrade or multi-disc versions)."

so, yep... you're required to provide your own legitimate copy of Windows... you don't get it with boot camp...

OP
scottwparker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK thank you. I don't know if that's really what i wanted to hear but, haha oh well.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.