PDA

View Full Version : Rumor of new kb for new iMac

VegasOnline
07-10-2007, 03:39 AM
Apple Insider article (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/09/next_gen_imacs_to_bundle_new_apple_keyboard.html), a macbook-esque keyboard design.

scottwparker
07-10-2007, 03:48 AM
I don't know if it's true but i like it!

knightlie
07-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Not exactly difficult to predict though; if the new design is as radically different as rumours suggest, they were hardly going to bundle the existing keyboard with it.

In other Hot News: iMac to be delivered in new packaging...

MinaMACMan
07-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I'd actually love to see a Black iMac. I think that will be HOT

EHUnlucky7x9
07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah, i've heard of this. It's only proper to redesign the keyboard so that it matches the iMacs. The new iMacs will be running on the Santa Rosa chipset at 2.2.Ghz and 2.4Ghz. The thickness too is going to be thinner with the use of LED's, reduction in the bezel around the LCD, reminiscent of the apple monitors. ;D

..then again, who am i to say...

jonnycrimson
07-10-2007, 01:04 PM
That's pretty cool. I love the macbook keyboards!!

pirate pete
07-10-2007, 01:40 PM
i wonder if this means a new mighty mouse also?

Fallooza
07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
i hope so. the old design sucks IMO. its like a clear garbage can

fleurya
07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Not exactly difficult to predict though; if the new design is as radically different as rumours suggest, they were hardly going to bundle the existing keyboard with it.

In other Hot News: iMac to be delivered in new packaging...

LOL, I wouldn't be surprised if an article didn't come out about the packaging!

I don't think I would like a MB style keyboard. I've always preferred typing on "normal" style keyboards over laptop keyboards.

jotdess
07-10-2007, 02:57 PM
LOL, I wouldn't be surprised if an article didn't come out about the packaging!

I don't think I would like a MB style keyboard. I've always preferred typing on "normal" style keyboards over laptop keyboards.

Yeah, same here. Maybe they'll try to mix the two. Who knows. It's all speculation at this point. That would be cool if they made a 30" iMac. ;)

elbolao23
07-10-2007, 03:21 PM
That would be freakin cool...30" i would say a lil bit to big for my taste but cool....my tv is not even that big....lmao. i think 27" would be more approriate

the8thark
07-11-2007, 12:51 AM
At the ebd of the article they talk of an ilife 07 or 08. I know that's just pure speculation. But that really interests me. As to what they've done on that front.

And to the keyboard. I'd have to try it out before I buy it. And it's look out of place with my current imac. But for a new imac I think it'd be good.

And once in an Aussie mac magazine I heard of a really strange but surprisingly good concept I thought. You have a thick mat. And yes no keys. Well it looked like that to me. And printed on it was a keyboard layout with all the usual keys. And inside it was a series of circuits. I'm not the most electronical genius out there. But it seemed like all those circuits inside it measured the pressure your fingers applyed to the mat. And above a certian pressure the key would be "pressed". The mat I think was like not even a cm thick. And could be rolled up to be stored. I think the bulkiest part of it was the USB ports on it.

I think something like that wouldn't do so well with a desktop computer but would work wonders with a portable mac. But the only thing I could see in it could topple then as the keyboard would be so light when compared the monitor. The weight would have to be distributed a little differently for it to work. But I think that is a one way to help make the ultraportable mac people are always wanting.

alexmaccoll
07-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Extremely disappointing. I hope, like most of the garbage AppleInsider manages to spew out, that this is the same mulch as in my opinion, the worst feature of the MacBook is the keyboard.

technologist
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm just hoping for a lie-flat keyboard. Even the cheeziest Dell keyboards have flip-out feet, but the $30 Apple keyboard is fixed at a wrist-aching angle.

http://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/upsol.html#wrists

VegasOnline
07-21-2007, 12:36 AM
From appletell.com
"New iMac details surface"

New iMacs keyboards will feature backlighting (http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/new-imac-details-surface/)

Interstellar
07-21-2007, 12:44 AM
" the new keyboard will feature a built-in Apple Remote '

Sounds sort of like the old 'Microsoft Works' joke. . .

knightlie
07-21-2007, 04:56 AM
Why did they post a pic of a Windows keyboard with an Apple logo pasted on top?

ki99
07-23-2007, 03:13 PM
And once in an Aussie mac magazine I heard of a really strange but surprisingly good concept I thought. You have a thick mat. And yes no keys. Well it looked like that to me. And printed on it was a keyboard layout with all the usual keys. And inside it was a series of circuits. I'm not the most electronical genius out there. But it seemed like all those circuits inside it measured the pressure your fingers applyed to the mat. And above a certian pressure the key would be "pressed". The mat I think was like not even a cm thick. And could be rolled up to be stored. I think the bulkiest part of it was the USB ports on it.

Yea, i've actually used one of these a few times working on other peoples computers, they are really neat. i almost bought one, but then i got my macbook:P

what? those were macbook keyboards...

laguano
07-25-2007, 04:45 AM

haha, yeah, that keyboard has the windows symbol with ctrl and alt.

knightlie
07-25-2007, 07:31 AM
what? those were macbook keyboards...

You're looking at the wrong link, I was commenting on VegasOnline's link, which is here (http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/new-imac-details-surface/). It contains a photo of a Logitech Windows keyboard - albeit a nice-looking one - with an Apple Logo superimposed near it in what appears to be a blatant attempt to make people think they know what the new iMac keyboard will look like. They obviously don't.

ki99
07-26-2007, 07:56 PM
my mistake :)
and that logitech keyboard is freakin' awesome :|

knightlie
07-27-2007, 03:12 AM
my mistake :)
and that logitech keyboard is freakin' awesome :|

It does look pretty nice, is that a trackpad in the lower-right corner, do you think? That would be a nice multi-touch addition to the new iMacs.

Logitech hardware is usually good, it's just their software that sucks.

Cuprous
07-27-2007, 09:08 AM
FYI,

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/27/is-this-the-new-imac-keyboard/

Looks good to me

knightlie
07-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Hmmm. Could be genuine, but could also be a fake - why would a desktop keyboard have an Fn key?

If it's real then they've gone down the MacBook keyboard route, which will annoy a few people.

Eta: And where's the Eject key? 19 function keys!??

eta2: Ok, I see the eject key.

jaline
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I love the Macbook keys. They're very slick and easy to use. Some people won't like the new style. Even though people are used to the regular, concave keyboards, most haven't ventured outside its realm to know anything else (which is why they prefer it).

Overall, it's a matter of personal preference. You can't please everyone.

Stretch
07-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't like what they did with the F-keys. I liked the volume and eject keys over the number pad.

Simbad54
08-02-2007, 08:53 AM
At the ebd of the article they talk of an ilife 07 or 08. I know that's just pure speculation. But that really interests me. As to what they've done on that front.

And to the keyboard. I'd have to try it out before I buy it. And it's look out of place with my current imac. But for a new imac I think it'd be good.

I think something like that wouldn't do so well with a desktop computer but would work wonders with a portable mac. But the only thing I could see in it could topple then as the keyboard would be so light when compared the monitor. The weight would have to be distributed a little differently for it to work. But I think that is a one way to help make the ultraportable mac people are always wanting.

My cousin, a product designer, actually designed a portable roll up typewriter in about 1986-88, with a rubber roll up keyboard, similar I believe to the old ZX Spectrum. It was featured on the cover of some design mag, but never made it anywhere.