• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Viruseprotect pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
One of the winboxes in the studio apparently got a virus from some one who shouldn't have been on the computer browsing sites they shouldn't have been going to.

It installed an icon that looks like McAfee's virus protection icon in the system tray of XP and had a popup telling the user that they had spyware and viruses infection their computer and click to take care of it. When you clicked on the icon, left, right, upside down, sideways, it opened an IE screen for a company selling virusprotect pro, telling you that you have to download their product to remove the viruses and stuff from your computer.

Oh, and it installed a ton of ad ware and stuff. We had to close 30 windows or so just when we came in yesterday.

I finally found a fix after doing a quick search on yahoo and removed it.

But talk about fraudulent activities and illegal malware. It installs itself and tells the user that their computer has a very large amount of infections and that they need to purchase their software to remove it. The thing goes directly to their website too.

Unfortunately you know there are some people out there that don't know jack that will undoubtably fall for their underhanded tactics. Makes me mad thinking about it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have run into that many times and it really bothers me. A lot of end users really don't know it's a scam and install whatever it asks them to install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.