Apple TV config options

Reaction score
I have a MBP with 160G HD and an apple TV with 160g. I want to keep most of the movie Files off my MB on an external HD. How would i set this up so they are still visible in my itunes and more importantly so that they will still sync, or fool apple tv into thinking its synced even when the external HD is unplugged. Would a simple alias resolve this?

OP
S
Reaction score
I have a MBP with 160G HD and an apple TV with 160g. I want to keep most of the movie Files off my MB on an external HD. How would i set this up so they are still visible in my itunes and more importantly so that they will still sync, or fool apple tv into thinking its synced even when the external HD is unplugged. Would a simple alias resolve this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
So, if your movies are on an external disk you can go to preferences in iTunes and uncheck the add files to my itunes library option. Then you drag the files to iTunes. My understanding is that it just creates shortcuts to the files so that you can control them in iTunes.

Once you sync the files to TV it will import the files from your HD and from the external disk.

Once you have imported all your files (that you don't want taking up HD space) you can recheck the option for other media.

Hope that helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.