can't play dvds with any application

Reaction score
Hi,

I have vlc, real player and windows media player for mac, on my computer. When I put a dvd in the drive in it opens up in default player (I've used all of them for this) but will not play the dvd. I am using os 10.4. Help! It was working ok a couple of weeks ago, I can't think of anything that I have done or changed that might have caused this to happen.

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
not enuff info for any serious responses

What happens when you try to play it in dvd player?
What happens when you try to play it in vlc?

Have you only tried one DVD or several?

OP
C
Reaction score
DVD plays on the other mac computer with the vlc player and on a normal dvd player. When I try to push play on the vlc player it does nothing. Not sure what other information to include. Please let me know what else you need to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What DVD is it? One specific title, or any DVD?

Do you have DVDs from multiple regions? It's possible you've locked your DVD drive to the wrong region setting...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Is this with only one DVD or several?

2. Is this a commercial DVD or one that has been burned by someone? - edit: and Apt makes a good point about the region

3. When you insert the DVD in DVD player -
what does it say on top of the viewing screen - "Viewer" or something else?
when you push play - look to see what message appears at the top of the viewing screen - such as "Supported disc not available"

4. VLC always does something when you press play - whether you have a disc in the machine or not
if it doesn't know what to play it pops up a new window (2nd pic) asking you where to find the file or disc you want
even when there is no disc in the machine it will pop up an error message as in the 3rd picture

Picture 3.png

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.