iPhone Nano?? Apple applies for new patent for a Simplified Cell Phone

Reaction score
I love the big screen on my iPhone and don't reallly dig that design too much. Maybe it's just me though. ;)

Reaction score
That is funny - perhaps it will have a "party-line" feature to save money! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It looks as if they are trying to create the same sort of range as the iPod, in which case an iPhone nano would make sense - a really simple phone which syncs your contacts. I'd be more likely to buy that than the iPhone. If it was a 4GB iPod, so much the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I guess the concept of the an iPhone that just does calls and iPod would be good for the more price-sensitive people who don't need text/internet capability. But, to me this design is almost comical. It's looks like a lot of the rumor designs people laughed about last year. I almost think this is some kind of phantom design with the sole purpose of keeping the iPhone buzz going, or maybe protect against others making something like this.

To accurately hit buttons or sections according to the design, it would have to be at least as big as an iPod, so the nano name would be out. What could you call it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPhone
just because you get a patent, doesn't mean you take it to market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I guess the concept of the an iPhone that just does calls and iPod would be good for the more price-sensitive people who don't need text/internet capability. But, to me this design is almost comical. It's looks like a lot of the rumor designs people laughed about last year. I almost think this is some kind of phantom design with the sole purpose of keeping the iPhone buzz going, or maybe protect against others making something like this.

To accurately hit buttons or sections according to the design, it would have to be at least as big as an iPod, so the nano name would be out. What could you call it?

I can operate my iPod Nano without any problems - why would it being a phone be any different? You select contacts or numbers the same way as music tracks. No problem there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Knightlie: If you look at the click wheel in the picture, instead of 4 buttons for up, down, left, right, it also divides it into 12 or more buttons. That's what I was referring to.

lwatt: Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at.

JRV

Reaction score
I would be very interested in a scaled back version of the iPhone. Something that looks like the iPhone but just does phone calls and music. I like the iPhone but it has many features I will never use, like most phones. But this nano design just looks awful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
just because you get a patent, doesn't mean you take it to market.

exactly... could be a patent to be applied elsewhere, or simply to protect the iPhone... they also patented a "multitouch mouse."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.