iPhone criticism driving me nuts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
After snooping around online and reading about the iPhone's detractors and lovers, I have a few things I just have to say. Ignorance is really annoying.

First of all, cost and value are entirely subjective. If one cannot afford an iPhone and a service plan, or cannot justify the cost, don't buy one. Not buying an iPhone is a better alternative to whining about it. If, after making the purchase, you feel buyer's remorse, there is a 14-day period in which you can return the phone in its original packaging and everything that came with it.

First of all, let's do the math here. You are purchasing a phone capable of e-mail (though not the best), web surfing (EDGE or WiFi), and an 8GB iPod.

The average cost of a new smartphone WITH a two-year contract for AT&T is anywhere between $250-450 dollars. We'll take the conservative average there and say that a decent smart phone will be $300 plus tax. Add to that the cost of a new 8GB iPod from an Apple store and that's another $250 with tax. In the end, you've spent nearly $600 and you still have to carry around two devices.

Personally, I think the iPhone is cool even though I didn't get caught up in the hype. I think the touchscreen and resolution and capabilities are amazing. So far, I've read about "issues" about the touch screen. You can't really use it in freezing cold weather, rain, or if you have a bandage on your finger. First of all, I don't know of too many people who need to surf the net or make phone calls in the middle of a blizzard. Second, if there's a bandage on your finger you can't forget that you have nine other equally capable fingers for dialing. These EXCUSES are like saying you desperately want a Ferrari but it would be impractical because you live on top of a mountain accessible only by a dirt road. If you find that owning or using an iPhone is impractical, DON'T BUY ONE!!!

Another issue I've found is the whole internet/3G business that people are moaning about. Again, this is all entirely subjective. If you feel you can wait 6 months to a year and expect Apple to release a 3G model, then by all means -- wait. Don't poke fun at the people who bought one now because they wanted it. You're not any better than them because you're holding out for something "better" -- something entirely SUBJECTIVE and up to the individual. Just how much do you folks use the internet when you're out and about, anyway?

I suppose people love to complain. You don't like AT&T. You can't justify the cost. It isn't cool enough/revolutionary enough to spend hundreds of dollars on. It doesn't have 3G. A touch screen has its drawbacks. The email client sucks...

Well, here's an option that might come as a huge surprise to you all: You don't have to buy one! As with the car example, it's like saying you'd totally buy that sports car you're lusting after, but it doesn't have some capabilities you need/want and it has a lot of other stuff with it that is entirely impractical. Well, I think most of you have answered your own questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That was well said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The hype of this phone has brought a lot of people out to talk about it; mostly people who completely neutral or trying to decide to get it and a few people either hailing it as the best thing since sliced bread or a $600 paperweight. But the hype will die down and people will move on eventually.

I've been stuck home sick for the past 5 days with little else to do but watch TV and read/write on the forums, and I'm completely fascenated by the iPhone and all the hype. So I've read a lot of this stuff and seen a lot of people get upset at all the attention. Just like the advice of not buying it if you don't like it, you have to be selective of what you read. If you really can't stand all the stuff being said, just don't read it. That seems to be hard for people. Engadget.com went as far as mirroring their site and leaving out all the iPhone stuff for those who don't want to read it, but people on their site still complain.

Reaction score
Well said. There will always be people who will complain no matter what. I'm happy with mine and I could care less about what other people think about it. ;)

Reaction score
I for one am VERY upset at Apple!! I mean, I've been a loyal fan of Apple for almost a whole year now and they didn't even send me a free iPhone! What kind of janky-***** company is this anyway? I've told at least three people, over the last year, to switch to a Mac! You can't BUY this kind of publicity!!! Why did Apple even put out this product if they expect me to PAY for it?? PLUS...it doesn't even come with the game "snake"!!! Why would I by a phone that doesn't even do what my cell phone from the late '90s could do?

I have decided to boycot Apple for the rest of the day! Who's with me?

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
I for one am VERY upset at Apple!! I mean, I've been a loyal fan of Apple for almost a whole year now and they didn't even send me a free iPhone! What kind of janky-***** company is this anyway? I've told at least three people, over the last year, to switch to a Mac! You can't BUY this kind of publicity!!! Why did Apple even put out this product if they expect me to PAY for it?? PLUS...it doesn't even come with the game "snake"!!! Why would I by a phone that doesn't even do what my cell phone from the late '90s could do?

Yes! J/K.

Touche, fleurya. I ought to take my own advice and not read it if I don't like it, except that's almost as easy as not breathing air. I can't find a single bit of helpful information even on these forums without turning up search results with nothing but negative criticism. Last night, I did a search for the iPhone battery and turned up pages full of garbage before I decided I would calibrate and charge my phone as I would any other lithium ion battery.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Agreed! I have been with Apple 13 Years. Where are my 13 iphones?

:D

Reaction score
Yes I cant stand people that want to make comments about this phone and they make no sense.... Half were made before the phone was even out. People say it's too expensive but they dont even know what is in the phone, all the features and sensors... Apple patented over 100 features in that phone. Plus Working in the cell phone industry I see it everyday... people will pay ANYTHING to have the latest and greatest. Koodos to Apple Inc.!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Very well said! I completely agree with you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.