Wireless Internet Problems

Reaction score
Hey everyone, im having a problem connecting to the internet with my macbook. I just went to my enighbors house and tried to get onto the internet over there and it all went wrong. I got there and finally i found the WEP password to get onto their internet. My status was that i was connected to the wireless but airport maybe be using a default IP address or soemthing like that. i typed in a manual IP address and then the status was that i was connected to the internet via Airport. So i got that far but when i tried to use firefox and safari and AIM, none of them would work, saying i wasnt connected.

Now i am home where my macbook was working correctly wirelessly and it will not work. I have the same status of being connected but none of my browsers will connect and same with AIM.

Please help, im really really frustrated.

OP
B
Reaction score
Alright I went into tcp/ip and saw it was on manual config so i put it in auto and now it works fine at home. However I messed with all that at my neighbors and it did not work. Can anyone help me with that?

Reaction score
well, do they have a mac filter? That might be a reason why you couldn't get out.
What IP address did you receive by the router? Is it a valid one with the right subnet?
Also sometimes you have to type in the router IP address as a DNS server. It seems like you are online, but no url can be resolved. Trying to ping a IP address of a website helps: If you can ping its IP address, but not the name, it's the DNS.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
You will probably get more answers if you move this thread in the right forum - Airport and Networking. Cheers ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.