How can I share webcam video without IM client?

Reaction score
How can I let someone view my live webcam video without using an IM client. I use Adium, and it doesnt support webcams. Is it possible to send someone a link to view whats coming thru my webcam?

Reaction score
How can I let someone view my live webcam video without using an IM client. I use Adium, and it doesnt support webcams. Is it possible to send someone a link to view whats coming thru my webcam?

Ever heard of a magical treasure hidden deep in the Mac OS X rain forest called iChat?

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Ever heard of a magical treasure hidden deep in the Mac OS X rain forest called iChat?

Like I said in my first post, "Without using a IM client" Isnt iChat a IM client? I want my family to see a video stream, and they use Windows. From what I can tell, iChat uses AIM or Jabber.

Please explain.

Reaction score
Like I said in my first post, "Without using a IM client" Isnt iChat a IM client? I want my family to see a video stream, and they use Windows. From what I can tell, iChat uses AIM or Jabber.

Please explain.

I'm sorry but you're going to have to use or pay for some sort of client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I think you would

1. have to set up a server for that webcam stream on your mac...probably not fun.

2. find a free site that allows you to setup to stream your cam through them. Used to be several in the beginning of webcam, but may be harder to find now.

I understand you use adium to chat, but if it's a specific person on one of the services that allow webcam through their client, might be worth the two of you getting that client.

I use Skype, it's free pc to mac, mac to mac, pc to pc...so why not try that. If it's mac to mac, then ichat might be a good plan.

Also, there are things that use SIP connections, i'm not infront of my mac now, but i'll find out what it's called, and then someone on a pc could use the pc version.

anyway, there are options, just not particularly what you may be looking for.

Brian

Reaction score
I think you would

1. have to set up a server for that webcam stream on your mac...probably not fun.

2. find a free site that allows you to setup to stream your cam through them. Used to be several in the beginning of webcam, but may be harder to find now.

I understand you use adium to chat, but if it's a specific person on one of the services that allow webcam through their client, might be worth the two of you getting that client.

I use Skype, it's free pc to mac, mac to mac, pc to pc...so why not try that. If it's mac to mac, then ichat might be a good plan.

Also, there are things that use SIP connections, i'm not infront of my mac now, but i'll find out what it's called, and then someone on a pc could use the pc version.

anyway, there are options, just not particularly what you may be looking for.

Brian

Exactly.
What I'm trying to say here is that you're going to have to download some sort of client...period. I would have reccommended Skype at the beginning but it seemed you were dead set on avoiding a client.

Reaction score
I know you said "WITHOUT" IM
but I'm using Skype for video. Works perfect both on mac and PC. But thanks also for the tip on the website I'm gonna try it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.