Copying to CDs

Reaction score
Is is possible to connect a cassette player or turntable to an iMac to copy old cassettes or records to CDs? I know I can get a converter cable, but am concerned if the voltage, etc. might ruin my iMac.

Also are there applications which facilitate this like Garage Band.

Many thanks,
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Cassette player shouldn't be a problem, but I recall that turntables have some kind of weird voltage thing that receivers with phono inputs somehow accomodate. Don't know that it would hurt it, but it certainly wouldn't sound very good.

A cheap way to test would be to get a Griffin iMic (USB microphone input for Macs that don't have audio in, like my old Mini, which died a death by Cabernét) for US $30 and see what it would do. Of course if you already have a receiver or amp that accepts phono in, it's probably got a headphone out, and you should be able to hook that up to the Mic input.

Otherwise I'd record the LP's to cassette first before recording to the Mac. I used to routinely hook up cassette players to a computer. Not necessarily a Mac, but it was no problem and I could record the cassette out to digital.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.