wireless network problems

Reaction score
Hello,

My cousin just got a new mac and I jumped at the chance at introducing her to all things Mac. Problems quickly arose when I tried to connect both her and my MacBook Pros to the wireless network. I've never had trouble connecting to other networks before so I'm starting to think that the problem lies with the wireless router. They get there service through SBC DSL, and the router has SBC written all over it. My dad brought his PC over and was able to connect no problem. I've tried to change the Wireless Security options but that didn't seem to help. If anyone knows how I might fix this it would really help. Thanks for your time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hello,

My cousin just got a new mac and I jumped at the chance at introducing her to all things Mac. Problems quickly arose when I tried to connect both her and my MacBook Pros to the wireless network. I've never had trouble connecting to other networks before so I'm starting to think that the problem lies with the wireless router. They get there service through SBC DSL, and the router has SBC written all over it. My dad brought his PC over and was able to connect no problem. I've tried to change the Wireless Security options but that didn't seem to help. If anyone knows how I might fix this it would really help. Thanks for your time.

Can you get me the model of the Router? SBC does not make Routers, It's probably Speed stream, but I need a model number like say 4100. I have one here that a friend gave me, the tower looking one with 3 lights, 4 Port Switch, Wifi here and it works great with my Macs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
it says HomePortal 1800HG

Mine is the same one. What Security are you using? WEP? WPA? Are you sure you are entering the key correctly? If WEP 128-Bit Hex? I had no issues here with 3 Macs and that router. Something is wrong somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.