eBay iPhones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I was just checking on eBay to see what people are selling the iPhone for and the listings are getting pulled left and right. Oh, most of them are around the $1200.00 mark. Sorry, not me, I'll be a late adopter.

Reaction score
I didn't think that was even possible since when you buy the phone, you give them information that ties the phone to you. It's my understanding that the only person who can complete the registration of the phone at home is the original purchaser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
im wondering if i wanna go buy one and just sell it on ebay.

when you buy it, sure you give them your info for warranty purpose, but you dont activate it instore, you do that on itunes at home.

is there any disadvantage to buying one and just selling it for $?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
My buddy's buddy ordered 12 iPhones for his business. He was one of the first to order, he was one of the first to recieve.

If he would sell them all on ebay, that would be a good business decision. lol

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I didn't think that was even possible since when you buy the phone, you give them information that ties the phone to you. It's my understanding that the only person who can complete the registration of the phone at home is the original purchaser.

Apparently if you buy it from a AT&T store that is the case but not if you buy it from an Authorized Apple Store. What ever the case eBay is pulling them as fast as they are listed. I think it is because most of them are pre-orders and they had some major issues with the whole PS3 pre-order thing. To sell a PS3 on eBay you had to have the unit in hand, not "I'm waiting in line for a PS3, and if I get it you will too" kind of sale.

mi6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram
boy dont you just love ebay...

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Capitalism at it's best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
I hope those people choke on them too. The iPhone was not a Wii or 360. Apple made plenty of them. I understand capitalism is great and all, but scalpers with concert tickets, specialty electronic gizmos etc just irritate me. I waited in line for a wii and there was a kid and his mom behind me who didnt get one because some scalper bought 10 of them. Same thing with concert tickets. All the good seats go for HUGE bucks because scalpers buy them all up and charge a royalty for their "services". I guess we all could do that but I have to sleep at night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't think they'll be going very high on Ebay and those who bought for that purpose will be disappointed. At least at the Apple store I went to, they had plenty left as of one hour ago, and AT&T stores had even less demand.

I was thinking of buying one and flipping it for a quick $200 or so, but seeing how many are left, I don't think it would be possible unless people are just plain dumb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh, yep, it sure does, and still looks great!

Wow, the MS fanboys are really coming out of the woodwork tonight!

Get a life, fella.

mi6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram
I dont know whay people what buy a iphone from ebay when store has plenty....

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seeing that Apple had enough phones at their launch maybe they could work with Sony at the launch of the PS4 when it comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think many people may be buying it because they live in areas no where near an Apple store and maybe very few AT&T stores that ran out quickly.

What I can't understand is why these insane people are bidding up to $1,000 when there are tons of 8GB version listed as "buy it now" for $750!!!! :eek: I guess they just like giving money away.

It does present a nice example of supply and demand. When the PS3 came out, it was limited, so people were easily able to get 2x or 3x the retail price. With the iPhone the market has plenty of supply, so those trying to get $1,000+ are stuck and new sellers are forced to lower their price way down to near retail, comparatively.

I love the free-market economy!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Call me stupid, but why buy an iPhone off eBay for $1200.00 when you can go to the local store and pick up one for half that price????? Some people must have wwaayyyyy too money (and time) on their hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
why are they selling so high?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you look closely, you'll notice that the vast majority of the phones where the asking price is higher than retail are NOT selling. For the ones that are going for exorbitant prices, you can tell that there's a scammer artificially jacking up the prices. It's only the phones that have a low starting price that have a good number of people bidding on them, but even then, those prices are hovering between $500 and $600. Nobody is bidding beyond that point.

It's a simple matter of supply and demand. There is a ton of supply and not enough demand. Don't get me wrong, demand is high, but not to the point of selling out en masse like consoles. If there were none available in stores, then yes, the iPhone would be selling for ridiculous amounts on eBay. But the fact of the matter is that you can easily walk into most Apple/AT&T stores and just buy one without a problem. So it simply doesn't make sense to pay more than retail prices on eBay.

I feel really sorry for those people who bought a bunch with the intent to sell them online for profit. It's sad because they're actually losing money for setting the price so high and not getting any bidders at all, and for those people who are actually able to sell theirs, they're losing money because of eBay charges, not to mention the time spent waiting to get them. I know the people who do this sort of thing regularly didn't touch the iPhone because they knew that there would be plenty of stock. The amateurs got screwed big time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.