Tascam US-428 and Garageband

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 2gb Ram
Just trying to make a few decisions about upgrading my PC to a Macbook Pro

At the moment I'm running Cubase SE on Windows XP and using my Tascam US-428 Mixer for inputs (midi and analog), controls(eg. a track wheel to move the page along) and this also doubles as my sound card for all audio.

I figure my options are:
1. Using Cubase SE with my mixer through XP on My macbook
2. Getting Mac version Cubase SE
3. Using My mixer with Garageband (I'm not sure if this is possible)
4. Forget it, get Protools and an M-box(this is a last resort due to cost)

Any Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Just trying to make a few decisions about upgrading my PC to a Macbook Pro

At the moment I'm running Cubase SE on Windows XP and using my Tascam US-428 Mixer for inputs (midi and analog), controls(eg. a track wheel to move the page along) and this also doubles as my sound card for all audio.

I figure my options are:
1. Using Cubase SE with my mixer through XP on My macbook
2. Getting Mac version Cubase SE
3. Using My mixer with Garageband (I'm not sure if this is possible)
4. Forget it, get Protools and an M-box(this is a last resort due to cost)

Any Suggestions?

The only universal binary Cubase program is 4. Cubase 4 studio student price is probably about $300. So far it's been a huge crash fest on the Mac and PC. Just go to the official steinberg forums and look at all the unsatisfied customers. If you want to use Cubase on the mac, 3 or earlier on XP or Vista through bootcamp is your best bet imo.

I believe you can use your mixer with Garageband. I put logic on mine and have only slightly dabbled with GB. Some one said yesterday that you can only record one input at a time in GB.

Protools sucks. Their entry level stuff is a little pricey but not too bad. I would hate having to upgrade though and end up paying $5000-$10000 when you can put together a full studio for almost that much. Other than that, I have no real gripes with protools.

If you want a capable mac recording program, logic express. Logic has it's bugs here and there like most stable recording system, but it's been good so far. Oh, and the learning curve can be a little steep at first.

www.logicprohelp.com

A life saver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.