AirPort Extreme Base Station, Any good?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My USR G router finally died last night and I am considering the AirPort Extreme to replace it. How is the AirPort Extreme? I read mixed review about the set up (no web interface, confusing set up software) and want to be sure it will just work like my mac.

Another thing that holding me back is the lack of Gigabit ethernet. I have 2 PCs to be connected hardwired to the router. Heard Gigabit connection is way faster. I also have an xbox 360 to be connected wirelessly, as well as my macbook. Will the 360 work just fine with the Extreme? Any idea when the next revision will be? I don't want to buy the Extreme and a mth and a half later, a new revision to include Gigabit.

Other than the Airport extreme, another other wireless G you would recommend that would work well in my environment?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi guys,

My USR G router finally died last night and I am considering the AirPort Extreme to replace it. How is the AirPort Extreme? I read mixed review about the set up (no web interface, confusing set up software) and want to be sure it will just work like my mac.

Another thing that holding me back is the lack of Gigabit ethernet. I have 2 PCs to be connected hardwired to the router. Heard Gigabit connection is way faster. I also have an xbox 360 to be connected wirelessly, as well as my macbook. Will the 360 work just fine with the Extreme? Any idea when the next revision will be? I don't want to buy the Extreme and a mth and a half later, a new revision to include Gigabit.

Other than the Airport extreme, another other wireless G you would recommend that would work well in my environment?

It's way overpriced in my opinion. Aside from the USB printer/drive sharing feature, most other wireless routers offer more features for far less cost. If you just want that legendary Apple ease of use, then by all means go for it. Personally, I'm waiting for it to be redesigned. For that kind of money, it should be gigabit-based, have 4 network ports, link lights, a true web-interface and at least one external, adjustable antenna.

Wishful thinking, I guess.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's way overpriced in my opinion. Aside from the USB printer/drive sharing feature, most other wireless routers offer more features for far less cost. If you just want that legendary Apple ease of use, then by all means go for it. Personally, I'm waiting for it to be redesigned. For that kind of money, it should be gigabit-based, have 4 network ports, link lights, a true web-interface and at least one external, adjustable antenna.

Wishful thinking, I guess.

Agreed 100%. It's a nice unit and works quite well, but is pricey unless you actually need the USB Hard Drive/Printer sharing. I also want Apple to include a real SPI Firewall.

I would own one right now if it did all CWA mentioned and had SPI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have a slightly older version G version. It's nice, simple and easy to set up and maintain. I'm not sure why everyone makes a huge deal about a web interface as Apple's Airport software for both the Mac and PC is pretty easy to understand and use. Range is fine in my 3 bedroom 2 story house.

The Firewall addition would be nice, especially if you are running Windows boxes on the network.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a slightly older version G version. It's nice, simple and easy to set up and maintain. I'm not sure why everyone makes a huge deal about a web interface as Apple's Airport software for both the Mac and PC is pretty easy to understand and use. Range is fine in my 3 bedroom 2 story house.

The Firewall addition would be nice, especially if you are running Windows boxes on the network.

The web interface is nice if you happen to be sitting at a machine that the software isn't loaded on - or if you happen to have Linux machines on the network. It's just one of those things that has become expected in the industry. I can't imagine it would be a terrific feat of engineering to add one on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
so are there any alternatives that still offer the usb port in the back? that would be REALLY helpful if someone pointed me to a router that is mac+pc compatible and still provides the usb in the back. i want to be able to backup 2 pcs and a mac (using time machine) to the drive...you don't need an airport extreme necessarily right?

Reaction score
D-Link DI-655 has the usb, is gigabit and wireless-n.

BUT, the wireless-n on the D-Link maxes at 130 Mbps w/ the Mac, while the AEBS is supposed to hit 270 Mbps.

btw, the AEBS is now Gigabit too. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
yeah! they upgraded it yesterday. i was JUST looking at it yesterday...and then the page stopped working. so i got on today and its all updated!

Reaction score
so are there any alternatives that still offer the usb port in the back? that would be REALLY helpful if someone pointed me to a router that is mac+pc compatible and still provides the usb in the back. i want to be able to backup 2 pcs and a mac (using time machine) to the drive...you don't need an airport extreme necessarily right?

I am using a good old airport express for both printing and wireless, but i fancy upgrading to the extreme, I was going to plug the printer into the extreme and use the old airport express to make my scanner wireless as well, not 100% sure it will work though?
Is the extreme faster than the old express??
Thanks

Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.