PDA

View Full Version : So who's camping out for an iPhone?

MikeYMS
06-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Heh.

The boss just assigned one of our employees here to go get in line for him on Friday morning...anyone else planning on getting in line a little early for an iPhone?

Dillinger-63
06-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Nope, I'm sticking with my Treo 650 As I have Verizon. If Apple would have went with them I might look into getting one.

kaidomac
06-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Waiting for rev 2. Anxious to read your blog entry though :D

Sobe
06-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Mall and the Apple Store it houses open at 10am.

I will be arriving at 9am.

Netty4mac
06-27-2007, 05:02 PM
I have a friend who's planning on camping out for an iPhone. :D

As for me, I just started my contract with AT&T, so maybe when my contract is up in 2 years I may consider the iPhone.

cwa107
06-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Nope, I'm sticking with my Treo 650 As I have Verizon. If Apple would have went with them I might look into getting one.

I don't blame you. Been there and done that with AT&T. They'd have to provide some incentive far greater than a nice gadget like the iPhone to win me back. If it were free with a contract, I might have to consider it, otherwise...

Sobe
06-27-2007, 05:18 PM
I have a friend who's planning on camping out for an iPhone. :D

As for me, I just started my contract with AT&T, so maybe when my contract is up in 2 years I may consider the iPhone.

It would just be another 2-year contract for you.

You don't have to be up for a phone upgrade.

Fromasta Flex
06-27-2007, 05:23 PM
I might camp out with a couple of my friends. The only reason we would do it is because we're crazy college guys. I'm perfectly fine with ordering it online and waiting but the camping part might be fun haha.

Sobe
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
I might camp out with a couple of my friends. The only reason we would do it is because we're crazy college guys. I'm perfectly fine with ordering it online and waiting but the camping part might be fun haha.

Exactly.

Plus I'm leaving for NYC, Boston, NH, and Ohio this coming week, so I wouldn't mind having my iPhone to fool around with while traveling.

MikeYMS
06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Waiting for rev 2. Anxious to read your blog entry though :D

I'm anxious to write about it...I won't get to see the phone until Monday morning likely...so there won't be any news til then. The boss is reviewing it for a Japanese Mac magazine...and we're going to see about finding a way to get the iPhone to some folks in Japan who want it REALLY bad (even without phone service...go figure). :)

jotdess
06-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm going to try and get it, but if I don't no biggie. I was going to wait until v2, but I'm too impatient and impulsive for that matter. ;)

MikeYMS
06-27-2007, 06:31 PM
well another idea is that we'll get them from the apple store...1-2 copies if possible. You might even see one for sale on our site! :D Wouldn't that freak people out ;)

iRye
06-27-2007, 07:40 PM
t'would freak me out :O

kaidomac
06-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm anxious to write about it...I won't get to see the phone until Monday morning likely...so there won't be any news til then. The boss is reviewing it for a Japanese Mac magazine...and we're going to see about finding a way to get the iPhone to some folks in Japan who want it REALLY bad (even without phone service...go figure). :)

lol...be sure to tell them that not even the iPod works unless you activate the phone! ;P

moss918
06-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Well, I'm in the UK so am likely to get asked to "Move along" if I start camping out now. Good luck to anyone here who is planning on getting one and I hope to hear about it soon!

Dillinger-63
06-27-2007, 09:45 PM
So are these things going to show up on eBay like the PS3 and Wii did?

Mattlike
06-27-2007, 09:46 PM
I won't be camping out, but I will get in line after work on Friday. I don't expect it to be that bad in my Town.

moss918
06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
So are these things going to show up on eBay like the PS3 and Wii did?

Yes CLICK (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/man-in-line-for-iphone-does-it-for-african-kids-charity-272470.php)

Netty4mac
06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Matt, will you be going to the Apple store or to an AT&T store?

Mattlike
06-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Matt, will you be going to the Apple store or to an AT&T store?

The closest Apple Store to me is in Glendale (about 13-14 miles away) and there is an AT&T store about a mile away from me. So I will be trying the AT&T store. :)

Netty4mac
06-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Good Luck to everyone!! Don't forget to come back here and post pictures! :D

Mattlike
06-27-2007, 10:14 PM

If I get one, I will! :D

cjay
06-27-2007, 11:30 PM

+100.

mathogre
06-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I feel so cheap and uncool. I have Sprint w/ a 4 y.o. Sanyo phone. In the last month I made 6 phone calls and received 2. I connected to the net 0 times.

There is no way I'm getting an iPhone. If I had unlimited funds I'd probably do it. The iPhone is technologically a very cool device, and I lust for one every time I see a picture of one. Still, I can't justify it.

My little Sanyo keeps all of my phone numbers for those RARE times I make a call. It works well. As far as net connections, my company has a very nice connection to the outside world. At home I have Verizon FiOS, 5Mb/sec. I have a sweet little iPod nano that handles the flow of music and podcasts I enjoy. There are times I wouldn't mind being just a little less connected. -_^

So, no, I won't be camping out for an iPhone. It would be cool to do so, but it's just not for me. Yet.

CarlConti08
06-28-2007, 03:20 AM
i highly recommend camping out for anything like this. i did it for the ps3 and the wii and i had a great time with my friends. plus i met a bunch of other ppl who have the same passion as i do. this would be a great chance for anyone to meet some other mac fanatics in their area.

as for me, being a broke kid who cant sign a wireless contract, ill be sitting here at home waiting to see pics of some fresh iphones.

kkelly122
06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
campin is gonna be awsome! my friends and i are going over to the store about 20 of us and going to wait in line. none of us are going to buy it. hopefully we are going to be first in line and we are gonna play beer pong :) until they open the doors and just watch all the myhem. its gonna be a crazy night.

Fromasta Flex
06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
campin is gonna be awsome! my friends and i are going over to the store about 20 of us and going to wait in line. none of us are going to buy it. hopefully we are going to be first in line and we are gonna play beer pong :) until they open the doors and just watch all the myhem. its gonna be a crazy night.

lol, i hope you won't be at the store i'm going to, as 20 people in front of me who don't even want to buy it would be quite annoying. :P

kkelly122
06-28-2007, 05:49 PM
thats sort of the point we are going to have huge verizon signs that one of my buddys got when he worked there. leavin in about 2 hours cant wait. gonna be hilarious

fleurya
06-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Have you heard about this guy who is first in the line in NY? His name is Packer and apparently he isn't even very interested in the phone. He just likes to first in long lines for things as a hobby.

Most don't care, but I guess some people are really mad at him, saying he is ruining the excitement of the moment. Packer and the haters need to get real!

Ninjab3ar
06-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Honestly, I dont like the iPhone. It's a nice phone, but it has some serious flaws that people are ignoring just because its from Apple. For example:

1. Edge network: It's slow, need I say more? Sure you can use WiFi, but why am I paying for a data plan if I'm going to use Wifi 95% of the time?

2. No Flash or Java in the iPhone browser: Steve sure liked to brag about how the iPhone shows the "real" internet. However, without flash or java, it's missing a big chunk of it....

3. No 3rd part software: This completely killed it for me. Especially when Jobs tried to encourage developers to make web apps instead. He also tried to sugarcoat it by saying "No SDK required". Nice try, Steve.

Do these flaws kill the iPhone? No, but if I plan to spent $500-$600 on a phone, I sure don't want it to be under-featured.

I honestly think the reason behind the no flash or no 3rd party software is so that people cant take advantage of sites like http://www.meebo.com in order to cop-out of paying text message fees, or to prevent 3rd party developers to make products like Skype for the iPhone, again, usurping profits from services that can be offered by AT&T.

Stevamundo
06-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Heh.

The boss just assigned one of our employees here to go get in line for him on Friday morning...anyone else planning on getting in line a little early for an iPhone?

NO! The iphone is just stupid. $75 cell phone can do EVERYTHING that iphone can do. It's just less fancy interface that's all.

THE IPHONE IS THE MOST STUPIDEST THING THAT APPLE HAS MADE IN A LONG TIME.

Now if Apple reduces the price than I might have a different tune. HOWEVER, NOW THE IPHONE IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

Cody
06-29-2007, 03:46 PM
NO! The iphone is just stupid. $75 cell phone can do EVERYTHING that iphone can do. It's just less fancy interface that's all.

Now if Apple reduces the price than I might have a different tune. HOWEVER, NOW THE IPHONE IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

Your reasoning is flawed at the most basic level. The reason that most people want the iphone is that its not a 75 dollar phone, it's an iphone. Most, if not all of the people in line will be buying it becuase it is an apple product. And I will be doing the same.

Z mann R2
06-29-2007, 04:25 PM
sooooo who got one???

jotdess
06-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm waiting until 5 or so to head out to an out of the way AT&T store. Hopefully I can come back with one. ;)

cwa107
06-29-2007, 04:38 PM
sooooo who got one???

I thought the stores weren't opening until 6pm?

Sgt Beavis
06-29-2007, 04:49 PM
GSM was simply a deal breaker for me. I'll be interested to see how much ATT's network improvements help but I'll be sitting this one out and just keeping my good ole 5G iPod.

MikeYMS
06-29-2007, 04:57 PM
They haven't. The east coast ones will be the first to open at 6pm Eastern (3pm for us here on the west coast)...we're anxious to see what kind of zoo happens. ;)

Currently there's over 100 people in line at the Manhattan Beach Apple Store by us.

Netty4mac
06-29-2007, 04:59 PM
They haven't. The east coast ones will be the first to open at 6pm Eastern (3pm for us here on the west coast)...we're anxious to see what kind of zoo happens. ;)

Currently there's over 100 people in line at the Manhattan Beach Apple Store by us.

My mom works right by there! I sent her to go check it out on her lunch break and she told me there was a lot of people.

barleychase
06-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Your ignorance is greatly displayed by that post : )
You make a somewhat valid point though.

MikeYMS
06-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Woo! we have success back east!

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20070629/IMG_0466.JPG

fleurya
06-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Is that you??

I just stopped my the Apple store in Indianapolis, and they still have plenty. It's pretty safe to say they won't have a one-day sellout. The second guy in line was only there for 12 hours, but still seems way too long for something you could just walk in and pick up with no wait a few hours after the big release.

Stevamundo
06-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Your reasoning is flawed at the most basic level. The reason that most people want the iphone is that its not a 75 dollar phone, it's an iphone. Most, if not all of the people in line will be buying it becuase it is an apple product. And I will be doing the same.

Oh goody, let's buy a $500 cell phone when most $75 cell phones will do the SAME THING but without the fancy crap, just because it's an Apple product. DUMB!!!!!

Go-ahead Cody waste your money.

Red Snapper
06-30-2007, 03:01 AM
Oh goody, let's buy a $500 cell phone when most $75 cell phones will do the SAME THING but without the fancy crap, just because it's an Apple product. DUMB!!!!!

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

D3v1L80Y
06-30-2007, 03:21 AM
NO! The iphone is just stupid. $75 cell phone can do EVERYTHING that iphone can do. It's just less fancy interface that's all. ......Oh goody, let's buy a $500 cell phone .. just because it's an Apple product.
Blunt as his posts are, they do bring up valid points that some might be turning a blind eye towards.

Yes, there are less expensive phones/devices that do the same things the iPhone can. The iPhone is a sharp-looking device, packed with some very fancy technology, but it really isn't all that revolutionary.

Yes, a large portion of iPhone buyers could be classified as Apple "fanboys". People who are only buying it because there is a picture of an apple with a bite out of it on the back of the device. People who worship the ground that Steve Jobs treads on.

Yes, there is a large number of people only getting one because it is the "hot new thing". Interviews with buyers on my local news tonight fit that description of "Fanboy" or "tech hound" who had no real, valid reason for getting it other than it was Apple's newest baby. Reporters asked them point blank why they needed to spend that kind of money on a phone and not a single person could give a practical reason.

I wouldn't call it sour grapes, but more of a pragmatic view of things.
I tend to agree with his points and I can find no reason or burning desire to get one myself, either. I can certainly afford it and I could have gone to the AT&T store and got one tonight had I really wanted one. None of the stores in my area sold out as far as I saw. I could still go out and get one tomorrow if I really wanted to, but again, I see no cause to get one.

Kar98
06-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

On the risk of sounding sour-grapish, too, not even a $50 iPhone would get me to go back to ATT.

Willem
06-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Hey, can someone link a $75 phone that does everything iPhone does (and I mean, everything)? Shouldn't be difficult, right? I want a touch screen and the whole nine yards.

Thanks!

Cody
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM

I will "waste my money" the same way that would waste my money in buying a Lexus instead of a Honda. While the Honda may have similar features to the Lexus, it does not change the fact that the Lexus is a luxury car and the Honda is a more budget oriented one, that while meeting the general needs of the buyer, the Lexus can do it much, much, more stylishly.

Stevamundo
06-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I will "waste my money" the same way that would waste my money in buying a Lexus instead of a Honda. While the Honda may have similar features to the Lexus, it does not change the fact that the Lexus is a luxury car and the Honda is a more budget oriented one, that while meeting the general needs of the buyer, the Lexus can do it much, much, more stylishly.

This says it all. Thank you for proven my point! If you're RICH OR AT LEAST WELL OFF than go for that ridiculous fancy iphone.

If you're watching your budget, than just buy a $75 cell phone THAT DOES THE SAME THINGS as the ridiculous iphone does but it doesn't have the fancy interface as the ridiculous iphone.

Iphone baaaah!

Of course if Apple comes up with a way that you could plug the iphone into the Macs and Macs could control the iphone, I'll be changing my tune real quick. I'm physically disabled and I can't handle any kind of phone physically.

Sobe
06-30-2007, 12:45 PM

QFT

I see it the same way, hence the 8gb iPhone next to me.

Stevamundo
06-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Hey, can someone link a $75 phone that does everything iPhone does (and I mean, everything)? Shouldn't be difficult, right? I want a touch screen and the whole nine yards.

Thanks!

Smart phones, blackberries, Verizon, shall I go on?

Again, none of these phones has the fancy interface that the iphone has. However these phones ARE CAPABLE OF DOING THE SAME THINGS as the iphone does.

Cody
06-30-2007, 05:17 PM
EDIT: (sorry didn't know that my browser had posted this already).. **** IE

Cody
06-30-2007, 05:26 PM
This says it all. Thank you for proven my point! If you're RICH OR AT LEAST WELL OFF than go for that ridiculous fancy iphone.

If you're watching your budget, than just buy a $75 cell phone THAT DOES THE SAME THINGS as the ridiculous iphone does but it doesn't have the fancy interface as the ridiculous iphone.

Iphone baaaah!

Of course if Apple comes up with a way that you could plug the iphone into the Macs and Macs could control the iphone, I'll be changing my tune real quick. I'm physically disabled and I can't handle any kind of phone physically.

I am by no means a "rich snob"; Don't even own a car for that mater; Still in school for Christ-sake. Again, the reason that most of us will be purchasing the "jesus" phone is not because were rich. It is becuase we see much more potential value in the thing then we do in a 75 dollar phone. The support for the $75 will be next to none, it is after all next to nothing in price (cheaper to buy a new one if something happens). But, when buying such an expensive item, one can expect good service from the manufacturer and a much more enjoyable experience.

Stevamundo
07-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I am by no means a "rich snob"; Don't even own a car for that mater; Still in school for Christ-sake. Again, the reason that most of us will be purchasing the "jesus" phone is not because were rich. It is becuase we see much more potential value in the thing then we do in a 75 dollar phone. The support for the $75 will be next to none, it is after all next to nothing in price (cheaper to buy a new one if something happens). But, when buying such an expensive item, one can expect good service from the manufacturer and a much more enjoyable experience.

So wait, now you're calling the iphone the “Jesus” phone? What, did you put candles around your iphone and worshipping it or something? :o

Seriously, I hate to burst your bubble dude, but my family has bought all kinds of $75 cell phones and they had no problems with them. Oh and amazingly enough, they can get on the Internet, play music, take pictures and so on with them.

Just go ahead and pay $500 for your “more enjoyable experience." I'll promise that I won't stop you. ;P

Cody
07-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Just go ahead and pay $500 for your “more enjoyable experience." I'll promise that I won't stop you. ;P

I will indeed pay a premium price for a more enjoyable experence:)

Oh, and if you have not been trying to stop me, what have you been trying to do? All I have seen from you is a non-stop barrage of bashing the iphone; in multiple threads.

Sgt Beavis
07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I will indeed pay a premium price for a more enjoyable experence:)

Oh, and if you have not been trying to stop me, what have you been trying to do? All I have seen from you is a non-stop barrage of bashing the iphone; in multiple threads.

Hmm, a phone you actually enjoy using. What a novel concept ;)

The guys got an opinion. To him, its not up to debate so why bother.

MikeYMS
07-02-2007, 01:21 PM
well debate all you want...people will always fall into 1 of 3 categories...

1) Apple "Fanatic"
2) Apple "Hater"
3) Average Consumer (doesn't tie themselves down to a set opinion)

Hey, it's not the second coming...and it's not garbage. Like everything, there's good and bad points to it. ::shrug:: I think future generations of the product look to be even better, and I'll consider buying one once the price comes down next year.

I think for me, I'll see about investing in Apple's stock first. ;)

jotdess
07-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Wow, it's pretty hot in here. :o

I feel sorry for the people who camped out because there obviously wasn't a need to. I don't have any regrets about buying mine.

Oh and Mikey, I had the chance last year when it was around 30. I should have done it. Oh well, too late for what ifs. :D

fleurya
07-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I think many of us are regretting not putting a few clams down on Apple in the past 6 months! So it goes . . .

Kar98
07-02-2007, 03:34 PM
well debate all you want...people will always fall into 1 of 3 categories...

1) Apple "Fanatic"
2) Apple "Hater"
3) Average Consumer (doesn't tie themselves down to a set opinion)

4) Gadget Phreak, who nonetheless decided to give the iPhone a pass.

imrahil327
07-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Smart phones, blackberries, Verizon, shall I go on?

Again, none of these phones has the fancy interface that the iphone has. However these phones ARE CAPABLE OF DOING THE SAME THINGS as the iphone does.

Um, wouldn't the interface be one of the things that the iPhone 'is capable of doing'? It's a feature and a reason for people to buy it, why is that different than, say, the fact that it plays music?

fleurya
07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Um, wouldn't the interface be one of the things that the iPhone 'is capable of doing'? It's a feature and a reason for people to buy it, why is that different than, say, the fact that it plays music?

IDK, a lot of people in the Apple community razzed MS pretty hard claiming Vista was nothing more than a "facelift" with existing features. I believe many people did go for Vista mostly due to the much better looking GUI, but I wouldn't qualify it as a real feature; no real functionality/

imrahil327
07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
True, but I would think the difference between touch screen and stylus is considerably greater than the difference in Vista.