Can't login to Windows XP box on network

Reaction score
I just made the switch to Mac, and want to get all my files off my old PC, but don't feel like burning thousands of discs and loading them up. I was trying to connect to it on the network through the Mac on the, file sharing is enable, I turned off all firewalls and such, and it comes up in the list. I try connect to server using samba, and when it prompts me for the username and pass I enter it, however it always says it's incorrect. It's not incorrect, so I don't know what's going on, I've tried all different users, but they all do the same? Any ideas what's wrong, waht I could do to connect?
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I will explain how i did it... might help you..

-Just connect PC to mac directly on RJ45 cable
-Enable windows file sharing on Mac. When you start it, it will show the IP address of Mac which is to be used by other systems. Note that and enable one user for file sharing on mac
-from your PC go to start>>run and type \\IPaddressOfMac. Before you do this just test the connection to Mac by pinging the IP address of Mac
-you'll get a pop up for user name and password, enter the username which you enabled for windows sharing and click Ok.... and you're connected to MAc.... ready for file transfer

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I will explain how i did it... might help you..

-Just connect PC to mac directly on RJ45 cable
-Enable windows file sharing on Mac. When you start it, it will show the IP address of Mac which is to be used by other systems. Note that and enable one user for file sharing on mac
-from your PC go to start>>run and type \\IPaddressOfMac. Before you do this just test the connection to Mac by pinging the IP address of Mac
-you'll get a pop up for user name and password, enter the username which you enabled for windows sharing and click Ok.... and you're connected to MAc.... ready for file transfer

You can't use a standard Ethernet cable to do this. It requires a "crossover" cable. It doesn't appear that the problem here is name resolution or a physical connection as much as it is authentication. I would recommend trying to use the username 'administrator' and the password you set for the administrator account on your Windows machine.

Alternatively, you can try connecting the PC to the Mac instead. You can enable Windows sharing on your Mac through System Preferences => Sharing => Services tab => Click Windows Sharing and turn it on. Then connect to your Mac by right-clicking My Computer, click Map Network drive. Choose a drive letter, type the following in the path field:

\\<your Mac's name>\<your user name>

Be sure to use backslashes, that's the key above the enter key. Your Mac's computer name is listed under System Preferences => Sharing. Your username should have been set when you first setup your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.