Hi all, and a tech question.

Reaction score
Hi all, first post. Have a question about running a PCMCIA card on a G5 imac.

Basicly i'm upgrading from a PC laptop to the G5, however i have recently signed a contract for a UMTS connection, which runs for the next 20 months. The UMTS runs from a PCMCIA card, specifically a huawei e612 card.

I have managed to work out that i need a u132 USB---PCMCIA adapter, however cant find any OS X drivers for my card, which seems a bit strange.

So does anyone have any experience doing this, or know where i might find the drivers for my specific card?

Many thanks

Next option is to buy a cheap 3G mobile phone and use it as a umts modem!:|

Or mabye emulate XP on the MAC, dont like this idea though.:(

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, might have found a solution to this myself.

Nova media have some software called Launch 2 net, anyone heard of it?

This software allows you too use express cards, pcmcia cards and 3g mobile phones as external modems. The instructions seem to suggest that you dont need any hardware drivers, as the L2N software detects and configures the hardware itself.

Hmm i'm not convinced though, sounds a bit to good to be true.

Will be getting the PCMCIA card reader next week, so will try out this software and post the results!

In the meantime will be praying it works!

OP
S
Reaction score
Dam it, just got an email back from nova media. Their software does not support card readers:Grimmace: :|

They say i need an external umts modem, which i thought i might, costs a bl**dy bomb for those things if your not going for a contract:(

This is sooooo complicated:

**WARNING**

**RANT MODE ON** :Shouting:

3G PCMCIA cards have been around for f***ing ages, has it not dawned on some one that people might want to upgrade from a PC to an imac and use their internet connection on the mac?? Fu*k me its 2007 i want 3G on my mac, and i want to use my PCMCIA card (which is a serious piece of technology costing a F****ing fortune anyway) to do it. Sort out some drivers. :Shouting:

**RANT MODE OFF**:)

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, internet is up and running on UMTS (3G). Working great:D . Cost me about 300 euros to do it though :( .

For anyone else trying to migrate a UMTS/3G internet connection to an imac :)Shouting: :Grimmace: ), there is only one way to do it......

Buy a UMTS modem (unless you were smart enough to get one, instead of a PCMCIA card, when you signed up), purchase Launch2net from 'zee German's'. Plug it all in, L2N sorts the config itself, and off you go. Obviously you're gonna get a few niggles, but mine works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
THIS!!! is Hilarious!!!

A whole to meaning to the term "SELF-help".

+REP to you!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.