Can i tell if im running on g/b/n

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if im connected to my home network over wifi on b/g/n.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there a way to tell if im connected to my home network over wifi on b/g/n.

Thanks

Good question - I've been digging around to see if there's somewhere in the System Preferences or even in AirPort Radar to determine the wi-fi type. It doesn't appear that there is, but I might be missing something.

The only way I know to tell would be to log into your router's configuration page and check to see what it's set to. "Mixed mode" would allow any type of connection (b/g or n). Otherwise, you can usually specify what speed to run at. But if your card is only capable of 'g' for example and you set the router to run only at 'n', you will lose your connection and not be able to reestablish until you log into the router using a wired connection. Your best bet would be to set the router for the maximum speed your card can connect at (older Powerbooks, iBooks would be 'b' and older Macbooks (newer Powerbooks/iBooks) would be 'g', fairly new Macbooks would be 'n').

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I thought this info was in

About this Mac>>>More Info>>> Wireless (or similar)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
I thought this info was in

About this Mac>>>More Info>>> Wireless (or similar)

unfortunatly not, was the first place i looked.

I do have a 2ghz macbook which is faily new, so im hoping its on n, as ive just bought an n router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Here is what I was thinking about... (though not exactly what you were looking for)

* Open Network Utility (found in the Applications > Utilities folder)
* Under the Info Tab, choose Network Interface (en1)
* In the section "Model: Wireless Network Adapter," if it says (802.11a/b/g/n), you already have the 802.11n enabler installed. If it says (802.11a/b/g), you do not have the 802.11n enabler installed.

d4141_airportenabler_LM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
cheers

it just shows a/b/g

Whats the n enabler ? is it something i can download

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16gHz 1GB ram white, 60GB iPod Photo
You say it like it isn't worth having????????????

If your network is a/b/g compatible, you won't see a speed increase. If you go out and get an N router, you will see a speed increase. (Atleast this has been my experience).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your network is a/b/g compatible, you won't see a speed increase. If you go out and get an N router, you will see a speed increase. (Atleast this has been my experience).

That is only if all of your adapters are n-capable. If you introduce a b/g device into the mix, the network will scale in speed and capability to the least common denominator.

It only makes sense to run an N-based network if you only run N-based clients.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's not entirely true. There are some routers that scale the speed only in regard to b/g devices but leave n capability intact when accessing the router or accessing other n devices.

So if you have three computers, two of which have 802.11n and one that has 802.11g, you would experience n speeds when transferring files between the 802.11n computers, but the speed would scale down to g speeds when interacting with the 802.11g computer.

Again, not all routers will do this. Some will scale all of the computers down to the "slowest" adapter on the network. However, there are those that do what I mentioned in the previous paragraph, such as my D-Link DIR-655

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.