How do I keep my desktop neat?

Reaction score
When I download an application, I know I can drag it to my applications folder to install it. However, a copy remains on my desktop. How can I eliminate this icon yet retain the application in my folder? If I put this icon on the desktop in the trash and empty, do I remove the application? This is a mystery...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
once you've moved the app to your apps folder, you can eject and then delete the .dmg. you can also save these dmgs, if you want, to another folder somewhere or archive them to a disk.

i've created a downloads folder in my home folder specifically for safari to download to so my desktop remains empty. that's another option to consider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
This also confounds my neighbor. It sometimes appears to the user that there are four version of the same program.
1) The disk image file
2) The mounted disk image
3) The program in the disk image
4) The program you copied out of the disk image onto your hard drive.

When program developers make cutesy icons that match across all 4 of those, it can get confusing.

After you have item 4 on your hard drive, put #2 in the trash, then #1 in the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I suggest changing your downloads folder so it is not your desktop. I only have my Macintosh HD icon on my desktop, just how I like it, clean and simple.

OP
thebeartrack
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will create a download folder just for these items. Then I will retain use of them should I need to reinstall.

Many thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.