Linux on ppc information.

Reaction score
Hello I have 20" G5 iMac I want to use Linux on along side of OS X. I got Ubuntu to install using defaults but Debian and Slackintosh are giving some trouble and documentation is scarce. For sure I need to know about partition schemes, I am having trouble figuring out where /boot needs to be. I would also like feedback on which distro's work the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Moved to correct forum

Reaction score
for partitions i would back up your osx install with super duper or CC cloner and then erase the hd and set up 2 partitions. one for osx one for linux. Make the linux partiontion ufs or FAT.

Next clone osx back onto the osx partition.

now you are ready to install linux. put in the ubuntu (or whatever release you choose) and boot off of it and let the installer build the necessary boot partitions etc.. on the partition that you made for linux. This will install a boot loader and all that good stuff for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
One other suggestion would be to use Linux within OS X. Fink and Darwin Ported many Linux software to run on OS X platform. In this way you don't need to partition your HD. You can execute Linux commands within OS X. In fact you can even have your favourite Desktop GUI (KDE, Gnome, etc,.).

OP
J
Reaction score
Where can I find some more info on running gnome with fink?

Also, I keep getting an error from Debian Etch saying the kernel can't be installed. Does anybody know anything about it? I'm not sitting in front of it right now but I can post the log later if that helps.

OP
J
Reaction score
yup, it boots up, runs the installer all the way up to installing the kernel and then dies with an error. I am booting with the G5 kernel.

OP
J
Reaction score
it boots up and the installer runs fine until it tries to install a kernel and then it crashes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.