Can't connect to airport extreme at 2.4GHz

Reaction score
I recently bought a macbook in Canada and when I returned to Europe I tried to connect it to my Airport Extreme network at home, but it doesn't detect the airport extreme base unless I switch it to 5.0GHz. I have a hybrid network with 2 PCs that don't run the 812n or a protocols (which is what is availabe at 5GHz), and they lose network contact if I change frequency. The strangest thing is that my macbook easily picks up my neighbours wireless network running the g protocol, and (I assume) is working at 2.4GHz.

I am a new macuser, and I have no idea how to attack this sort of problem.

Can anybody help me?

Michael

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I recently bought a macbook in Canada and when I returned to Europe I tried to connect it to my Airport Extreme network at home, but it doesn't detect the airport extreme base unless I switch it to 5.0GHz. I have a hybrid network with 2 PCs that don't run the 812n or a protocols (which is what is availabe at 5GHz), and they lose network contact if I change frequency. The strangest thing is that my macbook easily picks up my neighbours wireless network running the g protocol, and (I assume) is working at 2.4GHz.

I am a new macuser, and I have no idea how to attack this sort of problem.

Can anybody help me?

Michael

Take a look at the Wireless Networking FAQ first and let us know if any of the tips and suggestions help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.