PDA

View Full Version : iPhone restriction rumors surfacing

jc1350
06-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Slashdot has a posting that contains rumors from "AT&T insiders" that "reveal:"

1. iPhone will be sold only to individual account holders (no business plans/accounts can purchase it)

2. iPhone will be sold at Apple stores exclusively

3. To get the WiFi enabled, you MUST purchase an AT&T EDGE data plan (this is how AT&T will get money lost by not selling the phone itself - although one of the stories contradicts the "only sold at Apple stores" part).

Link to the slashdot story with their links to the details (http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/06/14/1448201.shtml)

The Consumerist (I have no idea about the reputation of that site) (http://consumerist.com/consumer/apple/at-launch-iphone-only-available-at-applecom-apple-stores-and-select-att-stores-268631.php) has what is supposed to be an internal AT&T memo that states only "select (AT&T) stores", Apple stores and Apple.com will have the phone.

yogi
06-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I was wondering about the data plan anyway... Jobs said that iPhone will switch seamlessly between EDGE and WiFi - but Edge nowadays costs per minute surfed and is really expensive (depends on plan, of course), so will iPhone's plan include a flatrate for EDGE surfing?

joshbrez
06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I thought I remember reading or hearing upon the iPhone's introduction that it would be sold both in Apple stores and Cingular stores. The requirement for an EDGE data plan makes complete sense. The inability for business accounts to purchase the device is just obnoxious.

Original Nerd
06-14-2007, 03:11 PM
I thought I remember reading or hearing upon the iPhone's introduction that it would be sold both in Apple stores and Cingular stores. The requirement for an EDGE data plan makes complete sense. The inability for business accounts to purchase the device is just obnoxious.

It will be available in both Apple and AT&T stores.

speed4tu
06-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Would be kinda dumb for AT&T stores not to offer it.

Original Nerd
06-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Would be kinda dumb for AT&T stores not to offer it.

Yes it would. 5 Year exclusive contract...to not be able to sell it and rely on Apple to do everything. Don't think so.

Kash
06-19-2007, 12:10 AM
These rumors don't have much merit. They will definitely be sold in both AT&T stores and Apple Stores. You can call up any AT&T store and they'll confirm it.

AT&T's EDGE network doesn't work on minutes, it works on kilobytes. You either pay per KB, get a 5MB/month account, or an unlimited plan. There is still speculation as to whether you can purchase an iPhone without a data plan, but as of right now, nothing has been confirmed. We'll have to wait a little while longer to find out for sure.

Since the last two rumors seem rather dubious, I'm skeptical about the first one as well. I don't see why they wouldn't sell to businesses. That's just plain stupid since companies can afford to pay big bucks for their phones and plans whereas individuals are far less likely to drop $90 a month on top of the $500-$600 for the phone.

I personally think this entire article is a bunch of nonsense.

fleurya
06-19-2007, 12:11 AM
The horrible misstatement of #2 would make me question and thing the supposed source ever says again. I think pretty much anyone with remote interest in the iPhone knows it will be sold in AT&T stores and Apple stores. It would more likely be sold only in the AT&T stores and not Apple since people do need to sign up for service. Also, I think it's pretty commonly known, or pretty well accepted that you won't even be able to buy one without a data plan, which complete negates #3. Finally, the data plans are not minutes, that's just crazy. They go by size or unlimited, as they have pretty much always been.

As for #1, who knows. I don't trust the source.

Matteh117
06-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Regarding wi-fi...

"iPhone automatically finds and connects to trusted w-fi networks so you can surf the web at blazing speeds."
http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology

Why would they say it automatically connects if you need to activate something to get the feature?

kaidomac
06-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I was just at the mall and the Cingular store had a GIANT poster advertising the iPhone. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy one from AT&T. Although...the Mac store is just above it on the 2nd floor of the mall...lol.

Matteh117
06-21-2007, 04:52 AM
I was just at the mall and the Cingular store had a GIANT poster advertising the iPhone. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy one from AT&T. Although...the Mac store is just above it on the 2nd floor of the mall...lol.

We already know that it will be on sale at Apple and AT&T stores as well as on Apples website..?