• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

whats your family like?

Reaction score
your Mac family that is? how many generations? where do they all live? :D

Gosh I hope I dont get mobbed for this post, it seems pretty snappy!

Well our mac family is our Macbook, that floats around the house. The Mac mini is the oldest Mac in the house and lives in our bedroom. The baby of the house is the 24" iMac that lives in the study. I work from home so that is my day today computer and the Mac mini gets used for anything else..

Reaction score
my pc died on me a few years ago out of nothing. still have all the parts flying around somewhere. well, the screen just froze, I tried to reboot - nothing.

so a friend of mine offered me that refurb iBook G4 for 600 Euro and I thought I give it a shot. That was the brith day of mac 1.0 in my family :)

5 month ago mac 2.0 joined: I ordered my new MBP. I use it for anything like work, music, travel, photos, movies, ...

I love my mac family

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Hmm.

Well, Big Mac lives in my office at home. He does most of the work - webserver, torrents, surfing, DVD copies, Itunes library etc. He's a quad 2.66 Mac pro. He shares a DSL connection with the wifes Dell.

The G5 is at my work office. I use a Windows PC and the Mac simultaneously, but I like the Mac for secure stuff - we trade futures markets etc and I like our data to be pretty tamperproof, so it doesn't reside on our general network server, I keep it on the Mac and only I have access to it.

There's also a spiffy blue G3 that sits under my desk at home doing nothing. It works fine, but I have no use for it - my daughter is 3.5 now, I reckon in a year or two she'll be capable of actually learning how to use a computer so when that happens it'll go in her room.

Reaction score
hehe. it's only a pc so I guess that's alright :) wouldn't do that to a mac though

OP
T
Reaction score
hehe. it's only a pc so I guess that's alright :) wouldn't do that to a mac though

god (not actually referring to god) that begs the question, how do you respect the dead members of your Mac family or do you keep them eternally. Maybe a Mac shrine could be made out of the downstairs loo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
thats brilliant, dont think any fish would be too pleased being squeezed into my macbook!

Hah - I wondered about that. You could use a couple of dead Isights and a New Imac and make it a multi story water park.

Reaction score
My Mac Classic is in my living room, kind of doing nothing. my iMac G3 is about 3 feet from me, sitting as a backup computer. My mini is my do-everything computer, which I'm using, and my iBook G3 is my "at night" computer (For when I'm in bed.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
my macbook is with me mostly everywhere i go, its cousin is my uncles 24" iMac far away.. at my uncles... and my old pc is sometimes thought of as "the ex girlfriend"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
My first computer, Ian Iachimoe, is a Power Mac G4. He is currently on my desk in my bedroom at home after a long journey across the country.

My second computer, Mlle Kitty, is an iBook G4. At the moment, she is sitting on my bed. When she isn't on my bed, I put her on my desk chair.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my macbook is an only child.

he does share a room (computer cabinet) with a 15" HP pavillion notebook who's seen better days. and a 17" HP pavillion notebook who's blind (melted video card) and brain dead (no HD).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Macky is the only mac in our family. He has a step brother named Gateway and a cousin, Gateway notebook. :) But I am pregnant with an iMac, I'm due at the end of the year. So hopefully Macky will have a little sister soon...hehehe ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Oh so now everyone is getting creative.

My first iBook, CrapBook, had some issues. He was mentally challenged(I could load an OS on it, but not be able to boot). Most of the time he was unwilling to learn, but when he did he wouldn't ever share the information to anyone else(Combo drive sometimes wouldn't read CDs, also didn't eject CDs sometimes. After the brain transplant, we found out that he had a good memory(640MB) and he was a fast runner(933MHZ G4). It ran Linux too, no $$ for a OSX CD. Then he had several issues to I sent him away and adopted another iBook of equal value.

Traded for a fully working iBook G3, since the G4 was had several unaffordable(for me) issues. His name was Stuart Little(went from 14" G4 to 12" G3). He was slower than CrapBook(500MHZ), didn't have a good memory like CrapBook(256MB), but he did the work alright. After a while, he became a mute(the sound stopped working). He was still useful, until he... just wasn't useful anymore. He wasn't fast enough for what I wanted, and he would only live for 10 minutes without food(10 min battery life). So I sold him.

Now whats left is my PowerMac, Mack. Hes quite a trooper. He has a good memory, hes fast, looks good, and so on and so on. Im the ONLY mac user I know of in my ENTIRE family.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
MY only mac is the black macbook, my dad also has an old 512k somewhere. The macbook boy is quite sad, his glasses (20" lcd) is of for repair, how sad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
My first mac, Grape iMac G3 DV was purchased 14 months ago. He was old and tired and had been sitting gathering dust for quite a while. I gave him a new hard drive, lots of memory and a shiny new OS and he started life showing me the wonders of OS X.

After using Grape iMac for 6 months, I upgraded to G4 Cube. I gave Grape iMac to my sister to replace her elderly ThinkPad. Grape iMac is used as her primary machine for internet/iTunes/MS Office etc.

PowerBook G4 was purchased last December to replace old Windows Laptop (who was actually quite young but acted much older). Windows Laptop was given to my younger brother, while PowerBook G4 is my primary machine.

This September, I am expecting MacBook Pro to arrive as my main machine, while PowerBook G4 will be sold to start a new life.

My dad is probably going to buy Mac Mini late next year, along with a load of new AV equipment for the lounge renovation. He will display photos, movies and play music for the whole family.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Currently there are 3 Macs in my house.

The new son, a C2D 17" imac.
It's older brother (I've had for a few years now) is a 333Mhz imac
And it's father is a Power Mac 7500 I think.

And a friend now owns the grandfather in the family a Mac Colour classic and his brother an SE.

And the oldest one, the first one in the family, the great grandfather is a 128K upgraded to a 512K machine. Complete with external flopydrive for the system disk. It never had an internal hard drive. It's around somewhere I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.