PC doesn't read all my mac's volumes

Reaction score
I don't have a DVD burner on my iMac, so to burn my stuff I use my brother's PC (it has an internal DVD drive). I connect the two computers using an ethernet cable.

I have 4 partitions on my iMac (Boot, Data, Media and Other). But the issue I'm having is that the PC only reads the Boot partition. I have my stuff on the Media partition so when I wanna burn something I have to move the files from one partition to the other so the PC can read them, which is very inconvenient because my Boot partition barely has more space to hold besides de OS, and when I'm moving the files from one partition to the other my hard drive is working extra steps that are not neccessary.

Besides the "to partition or not partition" dilemma, what should I do to my mac in order for the PC to read all my volumes? Any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
You're probably out of luck because Windows won't read Mac documents other than simple text files (if then) and those that are system independent, such at .html docs. It can't read the Mac-formatted partitions.

OP
J
Reaction score
Let me see if I got your point: So what you're saying is that there's no way Windows XP can read mac partitions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
look for a folder called Volumes, that should have your other partitions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What I do is that I get the Mac to recognize the PC partitions and then just drag from the Mac to the PC instead of going through the hassle of trying to get the PC to recognize the Mac. It's MUCH easier this way.

OP
J
Reaction score
look for a folder called Volumes, that should have your other partitions

There isn't such folder. Initially I was looking for that but the only folders that the PC gets are the following:

-Deskstop
-Home folder
-Applications
-Documents
-Movies
-Music
-Pictures

All of them located on the Boot partition.

What I do is that I get the Mac to recognize the PC partitions and then just drag from the Mac to the PC instead of going through the hassle of trying to get the PC to recognize the Mac. It's MUCH easier this way.

Can you guide me how to do that? Seems much easier as you say.

OP
J
Reaction score
Check out this thread

transfering music from mac to pc or vice versa

My actual instructions are at the bottom of the first page

That's what I did at first but when I got the dialogue box that ask me for the workgroup or domain, my user name and password, I got stuck.

Workgroup: My brother's PC workgroup
Name: My username on my mac
(those two are already populated in the dialogue box)
Password: I put my username password but it didn't work

So what I did was going to "My network places" on the PC, double click the recognised mac computer, type my username and password (of my mac) and that was it (but only the PC sees the mac, and only the Boot partition). My mac can't see the PC.

What could be the problem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is a little app called SharePoints. Download that and install it. Run it and set up the shares. Should work. Does here and I have a rather large mixed network. All my OSX drives show up in XP.

http://hornware.com/sharepoints/

Be sure to download the right one for your OS version. If you have any issues setting up the shares let us know.

OP
J
Reaction score
There is a little app called SharePoints. Download that and install it. Run it and set up the shares. Should work. Does here and I have a rather large mixed network. All my OSX drives show up in XP.

http://hornware.com/sharepoints/

Be sure to download the right one for your OS version. If you have any issues setting up the shares let us know.

Do you think this settings are correct? I selected shared+ on the Windows (SMB) sharing drop-down menu (bottom right part of the image below)... should I select the other instead? (AppleFileServer AFS sharing)

Check the screenshot (read below also):

sharepointsdu9.png

I haven't try it yet. On my Sharing Pref Pane the only thing I have selected and turned on is Windows Sharing (do I need to check something else?)

OP
J
Reaction score
It worked fine dtravis7 (just with the settings listed above). Now the PC can read both folders (Films and TV Shows) on my Media partition. Thanks buddy.

I have another issue tough. Why I can't see the PC?

I did de Go/Connect to server in the Finder, typed the IP address of the PC, get the dialogue box asking for the workgroup (or domain name), username and password, but no luck so far. I type my username and password but it says it's incorrect.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What OS is on your PC? XP or Vista? I will be gone all day but check back when I return later and try to help you if someone else has not figured it out by then. If you are using Vista on your PC, There is a change you have to make in the configuration. Let me know if it's Vista or XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.