Why you may not want an iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I read the article earlier today, and I agree with most of the points.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Meh. I think it'll be better once it hits other places in the world. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Interesting read, I guess we see how well it does at the end of the month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Yeah. I think it will be successful. After all, it is shiny :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my current cell phone costs about 7-8 bucks a month. that's why i won't get one. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Yeah I agree with most the point in that article as well. I have to admit I love the cool factor of the iPhone. But then again I get a Treo FREE through my company for Work, and on the personal side of Mobil Calling I have a Razr that does the job for me and I only pay $100/month for 5 phones (family plane) with verizon wireless.

Reaction score
A few reasons why that article is rediculous.

1. Typing in the rain or with a bandaid on? yeah...cause so many of us stand in the pouring rain with our phones out texting to people.

2. Batter life? Unless you are a business man, i don't know who caries an extra battery. The ipod is the most widely used mp3 player and you can't change out that battery. People will find away to use it without carrying another battery. Besides, this phone isn't suppose to replace a blackberry or WM phone. If it was, it would come with MS exchange and windows office products support.

3. Contract price. I can't imagine cingular would MAKE you own a data package. They don't on their many other phones....so why do it with this one. There are those rumors, but i think thats all they are....rumors. We will find out the day it comes out.

4. 3g? Why they don't use 3g is anybodies guess. this to me is the only drawback. If this is deal or no deal type issue to you, then you obviously are missing the point to this device.......

......which is to have an IPOD AND A PHONE TOGETHER! This isn't a business device!!!!!!!!!!! are macbooks made for business?!?!? NO!!! Can you do business things on them....YES! You can surf the web, talk to friends, and listen to 8 gigs of itunes music from a single 3.5 inch touch screen. This doesn't sound revolutionary to you?! Can anyone else name a device like this that is this size? I have owned a windows based phones for many years. I can also say not once has the phone just operated like it should. There is ALWAYS something that doesn't work right. So if apple engineered this device like they do all their other products, it will probably work exactly like it is supposed to.......which to me is worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

1. Typing in the rain or with a bandaid on? yeah...cause so many of us stand in the pouring rain with our phones out texting to people.

2. Batter life? Unless you are a business man, i don't know who caries an extra battery. The ipod is the most widely used mp3 player and you can't change out that battery. People will find away to use it without carrying another battery. Besides, this phone isn't suppose to replace a blackberry or WM phone. If it was, it would come with MS exchange and windows office products support.

3. Contract price. I can't imagine cingular would MAKE you own a data package. They don't on their many other phones....so why do it with this one. There are those rumors, but i think thats all they are....rumors. We will find out the day it comes out.

I agree with your first point, no argument there.

But Battery wise and Contract Price as well as Email capabilities well... thats a different story.

I saw the iPhone Introduction from WWDC last nite and let me tell ya Steve Jobs was going after the Smart Phones Market and hinting at the iPhone as the REPLACEMENT to all those. Which should mean that you'd be able to access Corporate Email if you want to (Like on BlackBerry and Treo) as well as have VPN connection options which to my surprise wasn't mentioned. When it comes to Battery Life well, there is a lot of people who use Smart Phones that are always on the Road, and being stuck with a Dying Battery and no replacement and having to wait to charge thats kinda really bad.

And finally the Contract bit. I believe it even says it on the AT&T commercials that it will require the unlimited Data Plan and YES it doesn't surprise me that the'd actually do it, because they know for a fact that a lot of people just LOVE the idea of the iPhone and will end up buying it anyways.

I still like all the features but if u'd use it for business then there are some major draw backs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

I know a lot of smartphone users who carry an extra battery. It's just easier than plugging a device in for an hour or more before being able to use it again. And those who talk enough to wear it out mid day won't want to go that long without using it. Also, you're comparing battery replacement with MP3 players, not phones which is what this device is targeting for. All phone batteries are replaceable. Not allowing this is a huge mistake in my opinion.

Despite what anyone says this product is, it's features do not really say business smartphone replacement to me. To me, it says consumer smartphone with consumer wants like web surfing, music and video, not production use. That being said, it's going to be a small consumer base that buys a $600 phone and pays $90+ a month for service just for a recreational device! He made a good point that smartphones usually approaching that price range are almost completely business-use and paid for by people's employers.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
As soon as you see it in a music video, then everyone will want one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As soon as you see it in a music video, then everyone will want one.

Which will happen within 24 hours ;P

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

4. 3g? Why they don't use 3g is anybodies guess. this to me is the only drawback. If this is deal or no deal type issue to you, then you obviously are missing the point to this device.......

......which is to have an IPOD AND A PHONE TOGETHER! This isn't a business device!!!!!!!!!!! are macbooks made for business?!?!? NO!!! Can you do business things on them....YES! You can surf the web, talk to friends, and listen to 8 gigs of itunes music from a single 3.5 inch touch screen. This doesn't sound revolutionary to you?! Can anyone else name a device like this that is this size? I have owned a windows based phones for many years. I can also say not once has the phone just operated like it should. There is ALWAYS something that doesn't work right. So if apple engineered this device like they do all their other products, it will probably work exactly like it is supposed to.......which to me is worth it.

A few reasons I think your post is "rediculous"[sic]

I don't think they're talking about pouring rain in the article. I have used my phone in light showers lots of times. This caused no damage to my phone. I don't think the touch screen of the iphone will hold up to well in even a light shower. I also don't think its absurd that someone would use an iphone with a band aid on. People get paper cuts all the time; thus band aid on the the finger. Idk about you but when I try to use my trackpad with a band aid on it is near useless. I know they are two different kinds of technology but I'm sure the same applies to the iphones touch screen.

Also batteries lose their charge pretty quick depending on how much you use them. In reality 400 charges isn't that many considering your paying 500-600 for the phone and the battery is only going to be at 80% after 400 charges. Idk about you but my old phone lasted 2 days on one charge when I first got it. 9 months later I had to recharge it twice a day if I used it for making calls. That battery was replaceable, so I replaced it. Not true for the iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
Ya, the battery not being replaceable is a big mistake IMO. And the rain thing is going to suck also. The slightest bit of moisture and it is no good. Also, 3g not being available is not the best idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Another bad point is that AT&T just doubled the price of unlimited data for $20 to $40 a month. May or may not be iPhone related. Probably just because of the AT&T takeover, but still another negative for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.