View Full Version : Blackberry 8703e or Treo 700wx

06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I have finally decided to get a "smart phone". Being with Sprint, I have narrowed down my options between the Blackberry 8703e and the Treo 700wx. I don't have any experience in the cell phone regime, so I am asking you all to help me with this decision, as you have been able to help me multiple times in the past.

I plan to use the phone for emailing, wifi internet access, day planner, etc. I don't care about camera capabilities. Do you have any suggestions?

06-10-2007, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=what is likely for baggss to post] Get. The. Treo. I have one and it's AWESOME!!![/QUOTE

Very true, future baggss.

JK! I do know baggss is a Tréo fan, though.

06-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Well, yes and no. I like the Treo, but only the ones that runs the Palm OS. The WX runs, you guessed it, Windows. Now, I've never owned a Windows based PDA, so I really can't comment, but it IS Windows.

Since you either have not considered the 700P or your phone company doesn't offer it, I would go with the Blackberry. Even if you did want to consider the 700P, I would still go with the Blackberry. Why? Well, Palm has announced officially that no Palm beyond the 755P will use the Palm OS. All future offerings will either use Windows or a new Palm OS based on Linux. Neither seems like a really good option to me, although the Palm based Linux OS gives me hope, I don't see it being a good thing anytime soon. One would have hoped that Palm would have done something with Be (the former Be OS that makes even OSX look clunky) but alas they fumbled that and squandered the OS away.

To be honest, I doubt I'll get another Palm in 18 months when my contract is up with Verizon. Unless the new Palm-Linux OS really impresses me I will likely change services and buy an iPhone. If I decide to stay with Verizon, I'll likely go with a Blackberry myself. Sorry, but refuse to run Windows on a PDA when there is anything better or even an alternative out there. As much as I like Palms hardware, the software is more important IMHO.

06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the help. Now I am scared of the Palm and will probably go with the Blackberry. I am still considering switching service to get the iPhone. But I think I will wait a year or so before drastically switching services for the iPhone.

06-11-2007, 08:43 AM
hey rpmgatech.

My company gives the Treo 750 as the standard issue company cell phone. The few that got excited and got the 750wx which as Bagss mentioned above runs on Windows CE are suffering right now. it crashes all the time (thats expected ain't it! ;P) Also something that drives me insane about it is that when u want to turn the speaker phone one it isn't a one button press during the call, u actually have to go through a menu and then select SPEAKER on. its a pain in the rear.

I use the 750p and it rocks. But I'd honestly go with the BlackBerry at this point regardless. It seems like they build their phones a bit better now than the Treo's

Good Luck

06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
i currently have the 700wx with sprint and i love my phone. i've also had the 650, which was a palm OS one and it was almost worthless. that one kept crashing! i have had nothing but solid service from my windows based palm phone. in fact i've only had to restart it once since i've had it.

so just chose what you like best. try them both out at the store and see what fits your needs best.