• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wife wants a notebook now

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
so that she doesn't have to go to the other end of the house every time she needs to use her computer either.

So here's the deal - while I have never had a virus on any of my personal computers and have not had any spyware/adware in maybe 2 years now - no matter how I set up her computer, every 3-6 months, I have to "fix" it - as in by that time she'll have 3-5 viruses and 30-100 pieces of spyware/adware on her machine. (Don't ask me how.)

So, anyway, for my own selfish reasons of not having to deal with either Vista nor yet another windows machine I will have to "fix" as she puts it, I want to get her a MacBook.

She, meanwhile, wants a windows machine since she already knows windows ( NOT - all she knows is Firefox, yahoo messenger and a couple of games like Luxor and Jewel Quest). Plus she is thinking she would rather have a 15" screen. And, to be honest, although we would get the education discount, a $500-600 windows machine would be more than adequate for her uses.

What do ya'll think?

M

MacHeadCase

Welp, if your wife has no intentions of learning a new OS, no use getting her a MacBook.

Unless... How does she find yours? Does she like the OS, how it works, would she be able to get along with it, do you think?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welp, if your wife has no intentions of learning a new OS, no use getting her a MacBook.

Unless... How does she find yours? Does she like the OS, how it works, would she be able to get along with it, do you think?

No, she doesn't want to learn a new OS. But, she really doesn't know anything about her current OS besides clicking on an icon to open the half dozen programs she uses. All of which are easily replaced or even the same.

She is the opposite of me. Doesn't know, nor care about the technology of anything. She does however, like the electronics and wouldn't go back once I bring something home and get her use to it.

Reaction score
since macs are twice as expensive as 500-600$ then you should be happy that she doesnt want to get a mac. you then can put the xtra money aside for a new mac for you.or wotever

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that's an idea, get her a pos windows box and get myself an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Is she actually going to be "mobile" with it, or do you just need another computer in the house? If just another computer, a Mac Mini would fit your budget.

Do you have a Circuit City or Apple Store around where she can try out a Mac? The Apple Stores even have 1 on 1 classes and she would probably pick up everything she needs to know in one or two sessions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Actually, I know there is an Apple Store in Dallas. :)

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, there's a couple of Apple stores here. They've alread got my $$ for two machines. Mac mini won't work, she wants to sit on the couch in the LR and be able to use her computer while watching TV. Probably need to take her there first so she can be able to see if she would be satisfied with the 13" screen size.

And my own reasoning is two-fold and basically selfish. I really don't want another windows system that I'm gonna have to "fix". And I don't feel like giving MS money for Vista at this point.

Reaction score
just tell her shes getn a mac. you can run xp or vista on it anyway.but if she were to run microsofts apps and the net,would you still get a virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
She, meanwhile, wants a windows machine ...she would rather have a 15" screen...a $500-600 windows machine would be more than adequate for her uses.

...I want to get her a MacBook.

What do ya'll think?
Well, to put it rather bluntly... if the computer is for her, then it should be what she wants.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
has she used your mbp?
if not, try setting up a second account for her with it customized to her tastes before she even gets onto it. just make sure whatever she normally uses is in the dock. let her at it for a while and see if she likes the ease of using the dock, the apps, and especially the trackpad.

additionally, you could get her a lower end refurb macbook for well under a grand, no?

Reaction score
Get her a cheap PC, create an account that for her that isn't Admin or Power User...problem solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
yeah, its for her - just don't go for admin.. It may help with preventing the spyware in the long run (I'm not sure)

Its what she wants and its for her

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
has she used your mbp?
if not, try setting up a second account for her with it customized to her tastes before she even gets onto it. just make sure whatever she normally uses is in the dock. let her at it for a while and see if she likes the ease of using the dock, the apps, and especially the trackpad.

You're the man. Set up the 2nd account with her apps. Yahoo messenger sittin' in the dock. Set up Opera with Speed Dial access to her e-mail accounts, a couple of her favorite web sites. Put Bejewelled in the dock ready to go. Set up a Disney wallpaper she likes to use.

Then let her on it. Showed her just a little about the dock and Finder. Showed her how to download, install, uninstall and place applications in the dock with Luxor. Set up the trackpad for her before she got on it. And gave her a bluetooth mouse to play with also.

After I let her play around with it for awhile, asked how she liked it - first thing she already decided the 15" was too big for her (first hurdle gone), then she looks at me with a kind of sheepish grin and says "So, when are you gonna go get me one. Are they still open?"

See, everything is possible with a little help from your friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Nice! Congrats!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
awesome. :D

edit: just thought about it... if i had anything close to an extra grand or so floating around, i'd get my wife a macbook or imac in a second. why? a couple days ago she says to me, "my laptop's starting real slow, can you fix it up for me?"
feh. so much for getting paid (as a server tech) whenever i work on a wintel machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
After I let her play around with it for awhile, asked how she liked it - first thing she already decided the 15" was too big for her (first hurdle gone), then she looks at me with a kind of sheepish grin and says "So, when are you gonna go get me one. Are they still open?"

*wichi (does whipping motion)

XD

I keed, I keed. X)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.