airport usbs

Reaction score
Are the usb ports on the airport extreme and express ONLY for printers or external hard drives? Or can you hook up other usb devices through them? Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are the usb ports on the airport extreme and express ONLY for printers or external hard drives? Or can you hook up other usb devices through them? Thanks.

Apple says that you can use it for Printers and Hard Drives, I would have no reason to believe that isn't the case. What are you looking to share besides a hard drive or a printer?

OP
S
Reaction score
I figured the same thing, but I can't see how the airport would be able to differentiate one USB device from another. I just thought of it as sort of a wireless USB connection. I have a wireless mouse, and a USB recording interface that I would want to hook up to it if possible. If that is the case it doesn't make much sense to me, why limit the airport to just 2 devices when there are so many others that you might want to hook up but cant carry around the room with you? Has anyone tried this or is anyone with an airport willing to try?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I figured the same thing, but I can't see how the airport would be able to differentiate one USB device from another. I just thought of it as sort of a wireless USB connection. I have a wireless mouse, and a USB recording interface that I would want to hook up to it if possible. If that is the case it doesn't make much sense to me, why limit the airport to just 2 devices when there are so many others that you might want to hook up but cant carry around the room with you? Has anyone tried this or is anyone with an airport willing to try?

The idea behind putting a USB port on a wireless router is to enable a user to share devices like printers and hard drives wirelessly. This is possible because there is already logic and OS functionality designed to support Network Attached Storage and Networked Printers.

USB devices come in thousands of flavors - and each one would require custom software and drivers to make work in a shared manner.

OP
S
Reaction score
I see, that makes sense. Do you know of any company that makes a bluetooth USB hub or something similar? Id really like to only have to unplug a power cable when I want to move my MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.