Need Help with Parallels and Airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
So I finally got around to installing parallels just for kicks for a few games and random applications. I hardly use it but I'm the type that likes to be able to do things just in case and for the heck of them.

I've been messing around with it and I'm happy with the way you can switch back and forth between full-screen modes.

Here is the catch:

I can't figure out how to get parallels to recognize my airport and connect to the internet.

Anybody have any quick tips?

I am running vista btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey Aubie16,

I installed Parallels a few weeks back myself, though I didn't experience the problem with the internet I can imagine that may be you need to install the Parallels Tools and also go to the Virtual Machine settings and make sure that the Network Adapter is installed.

Below I attached a document that has some picture pictures.

Make sure that your Network Card (ie Airport) is enabled.

Cheers

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks!

all i needed to do was install parallel tools. not sure why but I assumed that was installed when I did the regular instillation. doh!

now another issue...

I have 1GB of RAM at the moment (waiting on newegg's deliver of the 2 1GB sticks, which I expect will help parallels run much quicker.

anyways, it is only recognized 512 ram at the moment. is it normal for parallels to only recognize half the memory?

when I install the new memory should I expect it to recognize it automatically and jump to 1000MB?

again thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am glade I was able to help.

As per your Memory question, in Parallels you actually have the option to adjust how much Memory is allotted to the Virtual Machine. It does default to 512 MB, but You can boost it up. I have mine set up to 1GB.

What you need to do is again go to Configuration (You can also click on Edit > Virtual Machine) and thats gonna open the VM Configuration window. From that select memory and use the slider bar to Increase the Memory.
Attached is a picture of what its supposed to look like

And yes 2GB will give Parallels a boost. from a lot of members here it seems that 2GB is the Sweet spot for Parallels.

Cheers

Picture 1.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great. I'm all set!

Appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries. Glade I was able to help, have fun with Parallels

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.